[SOLVED] Black screen/GPU shutting down under gaming load.

Feb 8, 2019
When playing higher demanding games (Destiny 2, BF1, Blackout) occasionally both displays will stop detecting a video source and remain that way until computer restart. During that time I will still have audio and power to the case fans/mouse and keyboard. Initially I thought it was a temp problem for my GPU so I used MSI Afterburner to run the fans at a constant 60+% rather than letting my GPU automatically turn on fans at higher temps.

After browsing threads from the past I've gathered that it could be either the PSU failing or something with the GPU but then again I'm not entirely sure and I could use some help with solving it. I'm also ashamed to say I'm running stock CPU cooler for the last year or so.

What can I do as far as stress testing or diagnostics other components before I swap out to my budget backup PSU to see if its the problem?

SPECS:
Processor. Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4790K CPU @ 4.00GHz, 4001 Mhz, 4 Core(s)
GPU: ASUS Strix GTX 970 4.0GB
PSU:Corsair CX500 500W
MOBO: Asus Z97-A
RAM: (2X4GB) G.Skill Ripjaw DDR3 1600

Solution
An easy way to see what is happening is to run MSI Afterburner with the on screen display running while playing. You can add gpu/cpu temp,clock, power and usage. Also adding ram to that list wont hurt. You can also add this in a graph form to see if there are any spikes or instabilities to quickly determine what the issue is.
Feb 1, 2019
An easy way to see what is happening is to run MSI Afterburner with the on screen display running while playing. You can add gpu/cpu temp,clock, power and usage. Also adding ram to that list wont hurt. You can also add this in a graph form to see if there are any spikes or instabilities to quickly determine what the issue is.

Solution