• Now's your chance win big! Join our community and get entered to win a RTX 2060 GPU, plus more! Join here.

Pi Cast Episode 3 streams live on Tuesday, August 4th at 2:30 pm ET (7:30 PM BST). Watch live right here!

Catch Scharon on the Tom's Hardware Show live on Thursday, August 6th at 2:00 pm ET (7:00 PM BST). Click here!

Question Black screen hard crash when playing games

Jun 7, 2020
Hi everybody!
I've got a bit of a problem that my googling or tech skills can’t solve.
First, some background (skip to “The problem/The crash” if you want the kind of "TL;DR" version).
So about two weeks ago everything worked perfectly. I could play any game I installed and every game that I already had installed.
Then GTA V was free on Epic Games, and I downloaded that. (At first, I thought it was a GTA problem, but read on, It’ll get juicier) When I first started it everything worked in story mode. Then I tried Online mode. Didn’t work. Got stuck on the loading screen. I solved this problem by uninstalling my antivirus and only running on Windows Defender. But it then started to crash the same way story mode did. After that, I tried story mode again, which didn’t work. It crashed as soon I got into the “playable part” of the game. The loading screen and intro worked fine, but as soon I got the controls it crashed.

The problem/The crash
The game didn’t crash the usual way when you get an error and the game closes. The crash is as follows: The sound glitches out for a second but then continues playing, the screen goes black and it starts to search for a source. The keyboard is responsive (caps, num lock lights are working) and the computer is on. After a couple of seconds, the sound stops, and a windows warning sound is heard. After that, silence, and the screen continue searching for a source.

Now, I thought this only was in GTA V. BUT, I then tried firing up “The Sims 4”, same problem. CS:GO? Same problem. Every game I tested I had the same problem. The only game that works is Apex Legends. Photoshop works fine and all benchmarks say that my computer is fine and is in good shape.
You can see in the film I posted exactly how the problem looks. This is the same on every game, not just GTA V.
The film: 2020-06-05 GTACRASH.mp4

What I have tested:
First I tried to reinstall games, but it didn't work.
Check the integrity of game files, no change.
Then I tried disabling unnecessary programs in task manager in case anything was intervening with the games. No results.
I tried performing a clean boot and only have the appropriate processes for the games to play. Same problem.
I run the “SFC /SCANNOW” command over 10 times, no change.
I can't find anything in the event viewer, no critical faults. I once found an entry that said "Windows exited unexpectedly" but no more info than that.
I tried to upgrade to Windows 1909, no change.
Reverted to 1903, no change.
I swapped my RAMs to new ones (same size and everything), no change.
I upgraded my CPU to i7 (had i5 earlier), no change.
I unplugged everything on my motherboard and then plugged it back again, no change.
I started CS:GO without my computer chassis to see if the GPU fan was working and if
It was an overheating problem, but the fans are rotating just fine.
I did a clean install (full format on all drives) of Windows 10 and got version 2004, but the problem is still there.
I have also tried different monitors to see if that was the problem but the problem persists.

My Specs (as of today 2020-06-07):
Operating System: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit - ver 2004
CPU: Intel Core i7 4770K @ 3.50GHz
GPU: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 Ti (EVGA)
PSU: EVGA SuperNova NEX650G1 650W
RAM: 16,0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 799MHz (10-10-10-27)
Motherboard: MSI Z97-S02 (MS-7821) (SOCKET 0)
Storage: Samsung SSD 850 EVO 250GB (SATA (SSD)) and 1TB Western Digital WDC WD10EZEX-08WN4A0 (SATA )
Monitor: Samsung CF791 34" Curved Monitor (3440x1440@60Hz)

ASK THE COMMUNITY