Just formatted and did clean install Windows XP HE. Installed all Windows
updates including SP2. I needed to go into safe mode to remove a file and
when I do I get a blank black screen with safe mode in all 4 corners. Mouse
cursor is very erratic.

That's normal.
When you boot to Safe mode you will find a black screen with 'Safe mode'
written in four corners.But after a little while you will get the
welcome screen,don't you get that?

regards,
ssg MS-MVP
Don Pullem wrote:
> Just formatted and did clean install Windows XP HE. Installed all Windows
> updates including SP2. I needed to go into safe mode to remove a file and
> when I do I get a blank black screen with safe mode in all 4 corners. Mouse
> cursor is very erratic.

Thanks for responding.

No, I never get the welcome screen. I waited 15 minutes and all I get is
the blank black screen with the safe mode written in 4 corners. The cursor
is very jumpy when I move the mouse. One other thing is written accross
the top of my screen.

"Microsoft (R0) Windows XP (r) (Build 2600.xpsp.sp2_gdr.050301-1519:service
pack 2)"

Don

"S.Sengupta" <ssengupta_@msn.com> wrote in message
> That's normal.
> When you boot to Safe mode you will find a black screen with 'Safe mode'
> written in four corners.But after a little while you will get the welcome
> screen,don't you get that?
>
> regards,
> ssg MS-MVP
> Don Pullem wrote:
>> Just formatted and did clean install Windows XP HE. Installed all
>> Windows updates including SP2. I needed to go into safe mode to remove a
>> file and when I do I get a blank black screen with safe mode in all 4
>> corners. Mouse cursor is very erratic.

Try starting in VGA mode.
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;q314503&ID=KB;EN-US;q314503
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;307852&sd=tech

regards,
ssg MS-MVP

Don Pullem wrote:

> Thanks for responding.
>
> No, I never get the welcome screen. I waited 15 minutes and all I get is
> the blank black screen with the safe mode written in 4 corners. The cursor
> is very jumpy when I move the mouse. One other thing is written accross
> the top of my screen.
>
> "Microsoft (R0) Windows XP (r) (Build 2600.xpsp.sp2_gdr.050301-1519:service
> pack 2)"
>
> Don
>

> "S.Sengupta" <ssengupta_@msn.com> wrote in message
>
>>That's normal.
>>When you boot to Safe mode you will find a black screen with 'Safe mode'
>>written in four corners.But after a little while you will get the welcome
>>screen,don't you get that?
>>
>>regards,
>>ssg MS-MVP
>>Don Pullem wrote:
>>
>>>Just formatted and did clean install Windows XP HE. Installed all
>>>Windows updates including SP2. I needed to go into safe mode to remove a
>>>file and when I do I get a blank black screen with safe mode in all 4
>>>corners. Mouse cursor is very erratic.

Hi,

Thanks again for taking the time to respond. To clarify my problem was with
safe mode only. I was able to boot to Windows without any problems. I
remembered in previous trouble shooting prior to my having to reinstall
Windows I had made a couple of changes in my bios. I decided to reset my
bios to their original defaults and I now get my desktop OK in safe mode.
Thanks again for you help, it was appreciated.

Kind regards

Don

Thanks again for taking the time to reply.