Question Black screen instead of the "Choose an operating system" screen, then normal boot (probably after the 30 seconds) ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 27, 2020
Hello,

I had Windows 10 installed on one partition, and then installed Windows 10 on another partition. The first time I restarted the laptop after the installation finished, I got the "Choose an operating system" (you know, the blue menu with white font) menu (with the two installations) and the 30 seconds time before the auto choose. But then, after the new Windows 10 started, and after the drivers were automatically installed and everything else set up, I restarted the laptop again, and this time there was no "Choose an operating system"" menu - instead there was black screen (with display backlight turned on of course) for some time (probably the 30 seconds) and then the laptop booted into the newly installed Windows 10 (it is set as default now). I tried restarting the laptop several times to confirm that this is the issue. I tried pressing the F12 button at boot, which brings another Windows menu (also blue) from which you can choose the option for the "Choose an operating system" menu. I chose that option, and the "Choose an operating system" menu came up and I could choose between the two installations (the older installation is set as second - non-default choice).

So, I'm very happy that something worse didn't happen, but how can I fix the black screen during the automatic (at laptop turn on) "Choose an operating system" menu. Without breaking something else meanwhile.

Thanks in advance.

Dec 27, 2020
I installed second Windows 10 (dual boot) with fast startup option turned on. Now when I restart laptop I get 30 secs black screen instead of Windows Boot Manager and then it boots into default OS (however, if I press enter it boots immediately into the default OS without waiting 30 secs). Which means the Windows BM is there but isn't shown. Windows Boot Manager can however be accessed (shown) from the other (previous menu) of Windows when I press F12 during startup. IDK what exactly happened, but do you think turning off fast startup on both OS installations would fix the issue? Or maybe cause further complications?

Dec 27, 2020
Update

As far as I can understand:

Now the newer OS is set to load by default. But when I turn the laptop on, instead of the Windows Boot Manager menu I get black screen for 30 secs (the 30 secs originally planned for the Windows Boot Manager) and then it boots into the default OS (the newer one). However, if I press enter it boots right away without having to wait 30 secs. Namely, the Windows Boot Manager is there but is not shown.

Also, if I press F12 during laptop boot, I get this menu https://rivernetcomputers.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/01/best-ways-access-windows-10-boot.jpg , from where I can choose "Use another operating system) and I get the Windows Boot Manager menu shown properly. Obviously this is the older instance of Windows Boot Manager, but the newer one is set by default.

So, how can I fix the newer WBM which is set to load by default, so it would be actually displayed instead of a black screen,
OR how can I set the older WBM to load on laptop startup?

raykneale

Honorable
Oct 5, 2017
Go to search and type system config in the box and open it when it shows you the choices found ,you should see the boot tab ,click on it ,your two dual boot Windows should be visible ,highlight the one you want as default and click set as default and you should be good to go .I think you can also set the timer down to what you want on the left hand side,but I am not sure ,as I dont have dual boot it is not checkable on my system .
Good Luck
Stay Safe

Dec 27, 2020
Go to search and type system config in the box and open it when it shows you the choices found ,you should see the boot tab ,click on it ,your two dual boot Windows should be visible ,highlight the one you want as default and click set as default and you should be good to go .I think you can also set the timer down to what you want on the left hand side,but I am not sure ,as I dont have dual boot it is not checkable on my system .
Good Luck
Stay Safe

Well maybe problem is little more complicated than that.
I want to either fix the second Windows Boot Manager (to show picture etc.), or set the older WBM as default (if there even are two WBMs).

Sep 28, 2021
Update

As far as I can understand:

Now the newer OS is set to load by default. But when I turn the laptop on, instead of the Windows Boot Manager menu I get black screen for 30 secs (the 30 secs originally planned for the Windows Boot Manager) and then it boots into the default OS (the newer one). However, if I press enter it boots right away without having to wait 30 secs. Namely, the Windows Boot Manager is there but is not shown.

Also, if I press F12 during laptop boot, I get this menu https://rivernetcomputers.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/01/best-ways-access-windows-10-boot.jpg , from where I can choose "Use another operating system) and I get the Windows Boot Manager menu shown properly. Obviously this is the older instance of Windows Boot Manager, but the newer one is set by default.

So, how can I fix the newer WBM which is set to load by default, so it would be actually displayed instead of a black screen,
OR how can I set the older WBM to load on laptop startup?

Did you ever resolve / fix this issue? I have exactly the same problem you described.

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.