Question Black screen issue while booting with 4 sticks of RAM

Mar 21, 2019
Hello everybody!

I have built a new setup using this the following RAM: HX424C15FB2K2/16 which is 2 sticks of 8GB RAM. After a while I wanted to upgrade to 32 GB so I have purchased another package, serial the same, same frequency, timings, etc. The problem is that when I install 3 or 4 modules the computer wont start, just black screen and on my Asus motherboard the led next to the RAM lights up with orange color. I have tried a lot of things like testing all the RAM alone, and all possible combination of 2 in all the RAM slots, which worked every time. So all of them works together in combination of 2. Tried reseating the CMOS battery, but had no luck as it didnt solved my problem. What do you think what could be the problem?

Motherboard: Asus Stirx B350-F Gaming
CPU: Amd Ryzen 7 1800x
RAM: HX424C15FB2K2/16 each of them 2400MHZ, CL15
GPU: Gigabyte Windforce RTX 2070 8G
Cpu cooler: NZXT Kraken X52

Last edited:
HX424C15FB2K2_16.pdf

HyperX HX424C15FB2K2/16 is a kit of two. Memory is guaranteed in the form sold. Memory manufacturers don't guarantee combining multiple kits will be compatible with each other. You have multiple kits.

Workarounds to get extra memory working include:
Lower memory clock frequency
Relax DRAM timings
Raise DRAM voltage

You might want to refer to Memory Configurations to see supported memory speeds for that CPU:
https://en.wikichip.org/wiki/amd/ryzen_7/1800x

The Kingston .pdf above shows memory to be Single-rank.

Last edited:
Mar 21, 2019
HX424C15FB2K2_16.pdf

HyperX HX424C15FB2K2/16 is a kit of two. Memory is guaranteed in the form sold. Memory manufacturers don't guarantee combining multiple kits will be compatible with each other. You have multiple kits.

Workarounds to get extra memory working include:
Lower memory clock frequency
Relax DRAM timings
Raise DRAM voltage

You might want to refer to Memory Configurations to see supported memory speeds for that CPU:
https://en.wikichip.org/wiki/amd/ryzen_7/1800x

The Kingston .pdf above shows memory to be Single-rank.

Thank you for your respond. I have tried raising DRAM voltage from Auto (minimum 1.2V) to 1.25V which didnt work. Lowered frequency to 2133MHZ from the default 2400MHZ but no luck. Couldnt find where to adjust dram timings, I guess you mean by relaxing is setting it to e.g CL16 from CL15? + Shall I do freq, timing and voltage edit at the same time?

Mar 21, 2019
In addition first generation Ryzen is very sensitive to RAM choice. Mixing RAM not from one single kit is risky.

Thanks for your respond. But how is it possible that I have tried all possible combinations from the 2 kit which is working in any comination when using just 2 pairs. So I have mixed the DRAMs from the 2 kits and its works till not addig 3 or 4.