Black Screen issues

Cerysm

Reputable
Feb 16, 2014
Hi guys,

I'm having an issue with getting a black screen every now and again. I first saw it when I did a windows experience test, and then again when playing Simcity (the 2013 one).I was on Simcity for about an hour before it went black, and I've managed to play the Walking Dead game for a few hours without it happening at all.

My gpu is a Gigabyte R7 260x 2gb windforce rev1.0
I have the latest drivers (not beta), and it looks to be in full working order. I'm having no other issues than the black screen thing.

My other specs:
i5 4570 with an akasa k32 cooler
MSI z87m gaming
8gb 2133mhz ram Gskill
Novatech 750w 80+ bronze

When the black screen happens, I can't get it to come back to life, all the fans inside the pc are still spinning (cpu gpu psu and case). I can't use the reset button either, only holding down the power button seems to do it.

The last time it happened, when I switched it back on again the cpu was at high 30s-40 degrees, which didn't seem abnormal for playing a game.
I don't have any way to check the parts in another computer, or any others parts to put in this one.

I've read online that a lot of people seem to be having this issue with the r7 260x of various makes, but no fixes.

I have reinstallled windows and drivers, and this hasn't fixed it.
Do you think it could be a temperature issue? Should I try underclocking the gpu (it's factory oc)? Should I turn off xmp for the ram? Is it an incompatibility issue with another part of the build?

Any tips would be really appreciated, even if you think I should just send it back and get a different card!

thanks!

Cerysm

Reputable
Feb 16, 2014
Because I've got no way of checking, i'm just trying to send it back for a refund.

Is there any card you might recommend? I've been looking at the nvidia gtx 750 ti, which are a similar price.