Question Black Screen Monitor and PC won't display

Sep 8, 2020
My LG monitor was acting up last week. when i turn it on the first time it can last up to 1 hour, but after that it keeps turning of randomly every 15-20 minutes, i suspected it because of overheat on the monitor, so when its too hot, it makes the screen black, when i wait a few seconds and turn it on again, and it will continue going black like that.

So i try to google how to fix it, and i came across This website. I followed the best answer method, but instead of VGA/DVI cable i connect it with HDMI cable. Then i didnt turn on my PC again for like 3 days, because i didn't need my PC in that time period.

And then yesterday when i try to turn on my PC again. The monitor is just black and wont display anything at all, not even "no signal" when the HDMI cable is not plugged in. But my PC is just fine, cause i heard the windows opening sound and plug-unplug sound. So i have to double check with other device. I have a Dell Laptop and LG TV. And this is the result with 2 HDMI cable:
  • Laptop to Monitor: just black.
  • Laptop to TV: It displays.
  • PC to Monitor: just black.
  • PC to TV: No Signal.
  • Both HDMI cable result is the same.
So i wonder all of this happen because i followed the instruction on the website that i mention before. Please does anyone know how to revert the condition of my Monitor and PC caused by that instruction. I will appreciate any help. Thank you.

Note: my GPU is Zotac GTX 980.

Which other hardware are you using? CPU, motherboard

Which LG monitor model is it? Might be a power supply or back light failure
can you see a picture if you use a flash light with the monitor´s display?

Do you have more than one HDMI port at the PC?
Is the cable connected to the motherboard or the GTX980?

Reactions: giganticus_cockus
Sep 8, 2020
Which other hardware are you using? CPU, motherboard

Which LG monitor model is it? Might be a power supply or back light failure
can you see a picture if you use a flash light with the monitor´s display?

Do you have more than one HDMI port at the PC?
Is the cable connected to the motherboard or the GTX980?

CPU: Intel 4790K
Motherboard: ASUS ROG Maximus VII Hero
Monitor: LG Flatron D2342 LED

I just tried the flashlight one, and there's still no display at all.

Yes, Directly to the Motherboard, and to the GPU. i tried both. and the result is the same as my post. do you have any other insight?

Is any LED on on the motherboard?

only use one video connection at a time, connect it to the GTX980 and the TV.
Is the GTX980 connected to the 1st PCIe slot and powered by the power supply?

power off the system
reset the BIOS by jumper
try powering on again

if this won´t work, disconnect the GTX980 from the motherboard and connect the video cable to the motherboard and the TV, power on again

Sep 8, 2020
Is any LED on on the motherboard?

only use one video connection at a time, connect it to the GTX980 and the TV.
Is the GTX980 connected to the 1st PCIe slot and powered by the power supply?

power off the system
reset the BIOS by jumper
try powering on again

if this won´t work, disconnect the GTX980 from the motherboard and connect the video cable to the motherboard and the TV, power on again

Yes The LED on MB is on. The PC is actually working normal, considering there's windows sound and all.

Oh yes, of course. i think i was being vague. i connect the video one at a time.
"Is the GTX980 connected to the 1st PCIe slot and powered by the power supply? " I honestly don't know how to check this one, but i assume yes.

Alright will try everything you suggest and update this post when i'm done.

Update:
Whooaaaa, finally it shows on the TV with only reset the bios with cmos button on the motherboard, i connect it with HDMI On my GPU to My TV

But it doesn't solve the Monitor problem though, it still only black, not even "No Signal" and i really think it because of i followed the instruction from the website i mentioned on the original post. do you have any ideas how to revert my monitor problem like before i followed that instruction? cause i can't afford new monitor for now. Please help. thank you.

Additional Information:
The monitor act like a normal monitor, i plug the HDMI on my GPU to the monitor, the led power light is sit still, and then i leave it for a moment, and then the power light is blinking like it's on idle, and then i move the mouse again. and the power led stop blinking and turn blue only like a normal monitor on on condition.

Last edited:
like I thought, your monitor is faulty, most likely the power supply board within it (capacitors/ELKOs)

the instructions you followed can´t be responsible for this, the monitor is just defective. Removing the power cord and pressing the power button for about 20 seconds could revive it at some point again.

could be something like this:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ytw57212X2o

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N-FWE5oOByk

get a cheap monitor from the second hand market or try repairing it yourself (replacing/ soldering new capacitors on/to the power board)

Sep 8, 2020
the onscreen display is not showing either?

Yes, the monitor is not showing anything, just black. only led light on the power button

I tried your suggestion that pulling out power cord and pressing power button. didn't work
i wont try the heavy repair like soldering and such though. i'm just gonna try repair shop. if it's expensive and all, might as well buy new cheap monitor.

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS