[SOLVED] Black screen, monitor asleep. Computer running. No POST. Nada. Went through the checklist. Stumped.

Jan 3, 2019
So, I'm stumped.

Firstly...system:
CPU: Ryzen 5 2600
MB: MSI X470
PSU: EVGA 750
Ram: Ballistix Sport (8x2)
GPU: Radeon RX570
Power source: APC with surge protection.

Complaint: Powers up, fans running, drives whirring...screen asleep. No POST. No nothing. Black.

Background:
I've always had graphics driver issues, was intending to update, as it would take 60 seconds to wake from sleeping monitor. But otherwise everything running normally for months. A day ago, i came home and the system had restarted suddenly, with some 4-byte error code I can't recall, but I do remember MS called it "Blue Screen". OK. Everything seemed to work. Ran sfc, came back with some repairable errors. OK. Got my widows disc, ready to reboot into repair mode and troubleshoot. But...nothing. System runs. Black screen. Will not show anything.

Steps taken:
(1) Removed GPU and ran DVI from MB to monitor. Nothing,
(2) BIOS hard reset: Plug out, Removed CMOS battery, 30 seconds power buttoning, 5 minutes rest.Nothing,
(3) Removed all RAM, reseated just one strip. Nothing.
(4) Yes, CPU power plugged in, yes, ATX power strip seated correctly, yes, MB installed with standoffs originally, no dust, good cooling and temps for months, no loose screws, good cooling paste, no static discharges. Monitor is fine...just keeps sleeping, regardless of input method.
(5) unfortunately no POST code speaker, none came with MB, none handy.

Totally stumped. The sfc errors still shouldn't prevent starting into POST, and removing GPU should solve any graphics drivers issues. Unless my CPU magically died for no reason, which is odd considering surge protection, good cooling and temps, etc.

Solution
The CPU has no integrated graphics, so the onboard video does not work anyway. always test with graphics card installed and monitor connected to it. If board features debug LEDs, check if there's a LED that stays ON, when board started.
The CPU has no integrated graphics, so the onboard video does not work anyway. always test with graphics card installed and monitor connected to it. If board features debug LEDs, check if there's a LED that stays ON, when board started.

Solution
Jan 3, 2019

can't run your system without gpu. ryzen 2600 don't have igpu.
got another gpu or psu for testing?

Oh yeah, that's right! I totally forgot.
I don't have another card to test on hand, i'll have to get one...any you might recommend that might have better "out of the box" compatibility if there's a graphics driver issue in windows?

I don't think it has any debug LEDs, but gonna check the manual. Standby...

Jan 3, 2019
Ok, it's got lights. (So embarrasing...I used to WORK in hardware...back in the WinXP days, when ATX was just coming into style, Pentium MMX was all the rage, and ISA slots were still around. I haven't kept up).

Anyhow.

WITH the GPU plugged in, CPU lights first momentarily, then VGA momentarily, then BOOT lights and remains lit. DRAM is skipped entirely.
Without the GPU, VGA remains lit.

Jan 3, 2019
Thanks for the help. Oddly, it started up fine with another monitor...was able to run sfc in safe mode, fix things up, and works just fine with DVI now with original monitor. Strangely, if I use the DisplayPort as I was originally, the computer just shuts down over and over. Even with updated driver. But fine with DVI on the same card. Weird. "Back in my day" VGA was all there was...much simpler. So it goes.
Anyhow, thanks all for helping an old dog learn some new tricks.