[SOLVED] Black screen monitor might have had it

whitescar911

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2012
I was browsing the internet and my screen just went black. I tried restarting the pc and its booting into window because I can hear it over my headset. At first I thought it might be a video card issue so I switched out my 1080ti for an old 750ti and still nothing. I tried resitting the ram twice and changed out the power supply and nothing. So then I got out an old laptop and hooked that up to the monitor using hdmi this time but still no image. I have had the monitor OC overclocked to 165hz and I figure it's just given up. Oh and I while it was plugged into the laptop I took out the power cord and switched it with the one from my pc AND did a factory reset and still nothing. Is my monitor dead? It's a acer predator XB271HU btw.

whitescar911

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2012
I have tried the display cable with the 1080ti then switch to hdmi cable when testing it with 750ti, because that only has hdmi and dvi outputs but neither worked. My only other option is to take my pc to our tv and the hdmi cable and if I get a signal.

whitescar911

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2012
Yup, after dragging it down the stairs at half 4 in morning and plugging it into the tv via hdmi I got a signal and got into windows. I ****ing knew I was pushing it too hard with the overclock, for months when ever I got past the bios and into windows my screen would flash some white lines then would be fine. I guess the only thing I can be thankfull for is the fact it was second hand. Think I might go back 1080p and get a full 165hz monitor.

Yup, after dragging it down the stairs at half 4 in morning and plugging it into the tv via hdmi I got a signal and got into windows. I ****ing knew I was pushing it too hard with the overclock, for months when ever I got past the bios and into windows my screen would flash some white lines then would be fine. I guess the only thing I can be thankfull for is the fact it was second hand. Think I might go back 1080p and get a full 165hz monitor.
Make sure your CPU can handle 165 FPS, if it's a Ryzen I seriously doubt it would, even overclocked. If it's an overclocked Intel chip, it will probably handle it.

Make sure your CPU can handle 165 FPS, if it's a Ryzen I seriously doubt it would, even overclocked. If it's an overclocked Intel chip, it will probably handle it.

You know that a Ryzen 3600 at 170 dollars performs exactly the same as a 8600K at 240 dollars in games right? So why are you saying that a ryzen CPU won't be able to achieve the 165FPS? That's a lie. A Ryzen 3600 with a 1080ti in 1080p is good enough and will perform the same as a 8600K.

"if it's a Ryzen I seriously doubt it would"

Where did this come from?

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c8j_pxkP4O4

You know that a Ryzen 3600 at 170 dollars performs exactly the same as a 8600K at 240 dollars in games right? So why are you saying that a ryzen CPU won't be able to achieve the 165FPS? That's a lie. A Ryzen 3600 with a 1080ti in 1080p is good enough and will perform the same as a 8600K.

"if it's a Ryzen I seriously doubt it would"

Where did this come from?

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c8j_pxkP4O4
I don't know why but I just subconsciously assumed this was an older PC and it probably won't have Ryzen 3rd gen, more likely 1st or 2nd gen. I also didn't realize the 3600 was that close to Intel even with a 1080 Ti at 1080p, I thought there was at least some difference. There is indeed a difference when you pair a 9900K with a 2080 Ti, and compare that with 3600 and a 2080 Ti, but of course the 9900K is more expensive. Still, I thought there would be a greater difference... thanks for the wake up call, I guess. Need to watch more benchmarks :')