Black Screen of Death After 20 minutes After Update/ Reset

verynice

Commendable
Aug 5, 2016
After an update started automatically downloading (thanks Microsoft) without any indication, it took place when I was upgrading my router. Because of this, the update never finished.

No problem, I'll just start in safe mode and install it from there, right? That would be what I would've done, if it booted into the BIOS, which it didn't. So I thought, "that's a CMOS error", and changed the CMOS battery and did a BIOS flash. It did boot, and it managed to boot into safe mode. But after like 20 minutes of, I couldn't find the update anywhere. No problem, I'll just reset the PC, after sending my programs to an external drive.

Done and started the reset. Gone through the lengthy start up, and got into windows. Started installing the drivers when, black screen of death. Well shit. That's windows gone. Oh well, I just wanted it to work at this point. So I restart the PC, and reinstall Windows.

Windows boots after the start up again, but this time don't update the drivers, and just leave it idle. 20 or so minutes pass and then, black screen of death.

Rinse and repeat a couple of times, and try changing the graphics card psu cable. Also try swapping the BIOS as its a dual BIOS mobo, no luck. Also idle on the windows start up, no black screen of death.

What's going on? I've used this PC for about 2/3 of a year now with no problems. Here are the specs:

Gtx 1070
R7 1700
8gb Ddr4 1333mhz
X370 gt5
550W EVGA gold

Edit: When it black screens, everything is running, all the fans spinning, all the lights on, so it can't be a power issue.

drekoriggm

Prominent
Nov 22, 2017
I would remove the GPU and try using just the on-board video. It might be the GPU overheating or malfunctioning once in Windows.
If you have 20min each time before it goes dark, you can check eventvwr for errors as well as download a program like SpeedFan to check temps.
I'd start with this and hopefully it will help narrow down the issue.

verynice

Commendable
Aug 5, 2016
OK I've been fiddling about a bit, and I decided to feel the top of the GPU; it's hot as shit. Strange. I decided to wait before the screen blacked again, and when it did, I was shocked to see the GPU fan stop spinning, but the temps still being high (it comes with a fan curve).

I can't use on board because it's not supported, however, assuming this is in fact the issue, I would solve it by installing the extremeX software (graphics card control panel) and up the fan curvature?.

It is hot as hell in this room as I've been going at it for a while, so I will try it tomorrow morning, where there's better luck with the temps. I'm trying to keep this room as cool as possible, but your input has definitely helped:bounce:

drekoriggm

Prominent
Nov 22, 2017
That might solve it and if anything you'll be able to get more info regarding temps and fan speeds to see what's going on. Like I mentioned eariler, Speedfan will work too.
Ideally, I would try a different GPU in the computer if you or someone else you know has one to use for a test.
Another thing you can try is moving the GPU into the other PCI express x16 slot but it's probably a long shot the current slot is the issue.
My suspicion is that it's probably a hardware issue with the GPU but might be too early to say that yet.

verynice

Commendable
Aug 5, 2016
Update: The PC blacked out before I could install anything. I left the window wide open, turned the heating off, left the room, and everything with no luck. I moved it to another PCI slot and got no screen. Huh. Plugged it to the other PCI, nothing.

Before I go and spend £350 on a graphics card again (no warranty) , could it be anything else? I will give more info about the black screen:

Haven't started anything with sound (couldn't install Spotify and I didn't try opening YouTube before the black nothingness).

All the lights turn on. They remain on during the black screen.

The fans all spin, except when the black screen occurs, where the graphics card stops spinning, even when it's burning hot.

The power button doesn't shut down, but holding does go to a force shut down.

The temps on the CPU are excellent, and the RAM, whilst being on 50% usage, has been on 90% usage for like the dawn of time in game. And RAM doesn't explain the 20 minute crashes and the now instant crashes.

Both SSDs are recognized by windows both during the installation and on boot.

The keyboard on mouse lights are on during the black screen.

When the screen turns black, Windows stops; I never really tested this, however I did try to click the power button multiple times with no luck. But I could've looked into this.

In windows, just a note, there is no sleep option, restart sent me to a black screen, and same with shut down.

If I do get a new graphics card, will it fix the instant crash as well?