Black Screen of Death **HELP**

Aug 10, 2018
Important Specs

AMD Ryzen 2700x

AMD R9 290x reference w/Waterblock installed

Asus Prime X470 Pro

Corsair Vengence RGB Pro 8GBx2 3200mhz (clocked at 2133mhz auto)

G'day mates just having troubles with getting my reference AMD R9 290x to not black screen under heavy usage eg - gaming (csgo ran fine for over an hour but higher graphical games it K.O's itself).

I can use the card for any normal task YouTube at 8k etc etc with no worries. Games like F1 2018 or Rainbow 6 heat the card up more causing it to BSoD in about 5-10 minutes. It is only when heavy gaming tasks happen it decides to BSoD, however I can sometimes still get game sounds and menus pausing etc so it only affects the actual graphical part itself.

I know when it's about to BSoD because the screen glitches with all sorts of patterns and colours.

I have the system all watercooled (CPU/GPU) and the temps in loop have been what I thought it would be under load.

CPU at idle sits at 40 C (seems oddly high after looking at online idle temps)

GPU at idle sits at 35 C (that seems normal)

Could my problems lie within the VRMS on the card? I have replaced the thermal compound with Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut on the GPU die but I did not replace the thermal pads underneath and continued to use the old ones on there (they look quite old, oops should have changed them maybe). I also have that exact compound on the CPU heat spreader underneath my EKWB EK-SUPREMACY EVO AMD RGB but still have high temps.

If anyone can help it would be much much much appreciated.

Cheers Zac

TRENDING THREADS