Question Black screen of death on windows 7. CTRL + ALT + DELETE does nothing. Windows 10 partition (dual boot) works fine

Feb 7, 2021
I have an SSD and a HDD on my system. The SSD runs windows 7, the HDD runs windows 10.
A couple of days ago, I was using win10 and it installed an update. When I booted my pc the next day, trying to boot into win7, I got the black screen of death.

The screen is totally black, except for the cursor. This screen appears instead of the login screen and I can't bring up the task manager in any way.
Booting win 7 into safe mode (any of the 3) results in the same black screen of death. Low-resolution video and Last Known Good Configuration all result in the same black screen of death.

I can boot into win10 without any problems, but it says that I don't have permission to access the SSD.

What should I do?

You can give yourself permissions to the SSD, as long as you're logging with administrative accoubt.

As for Windows 7 - it seems the boot record for Win7 got damaged. Boot with Windows 7 installation DVD, repair boot, then do the same with Windows 10. Utilities like EasyBCD might help as well;

Feb 7, 2021
You can give yourself permissions to the SSD, as long as you're logging with administrative accoubt.

As for Windows 7 - it seems the boot record for Win7 got damaged. Boot with Windows 7 installation DVD, repair boot, then do the same with Windows 10. Utilities like EasyBCD might help as well;
I currently have taken out the win 10 hdd, and I'm only working with the win 7 ssd. I rebuild the mbr and the bcd, but the problem persists. I noticed that now, when I try to boot in safe mode, the drivers load up to aswArDisk.sys , then it freezes for about 2 minutes and reboots. Maybe one of the core drivers is faulty?

TRENDING THREADS