Black Screen of Death? Onboard Graphics?

nachiasfish

Honorable
Mar 14, 2013
I'm not sure how much information to give.
HP p6520f, only addition is an NVIDIA 550 Ti graphics card.
I found that the computer was running slow last night, so I shut down and restarted. It gets past the startup screen but shows a black screen.

I restart it in Safe Mode and it works fine. Updated drivers, ran a malware scan. Still doesn't run normally.
I noticed that the only display driver was the 550 Ti, but didn't take much note of it.
ran sfc /scannow in cmd as well.

I suspected a problem with the graphics card, seeing as I had a few BSoDs in the prior weeks that seemed to have to do with Flash and the card. So I switched to onboard graphics in the BIOS during a subsequent attempt. That is all I changed.

Now nothing displays on the monitor at all. I suspect that the integrated graphics are partially to blame - everything still sounds like it's starting up okay.

Is there anything I can do to try and fix the BIOS settings?

nachiasfish

Honorable
Mar 14, 2013

I actually managed to get it to start up after resetting the CMOS, but I'm still not sure about the onboard graphics. The only device that shows up in Display Adapters is the NVIDIA card.

My memory's a bit fuzzy, so I'm not sure that there was a device category for the onboard graphics in the first place.

Shadow_07

Honorable
Jan 28, 2013
Disable the onboard graphics in the Bios, then go to safe mode, If you can see the on-board graphics card in the device manager, right click on it > Disable, Now restart.

If that doesn't work, see if you can get into windows by uninstalling the driver for the 550ti in safe mode.