Black screen of death while gaming on a Toshiba laptop (Voltage regulator?)

rokatanski

Reputable
Jul 26, 2014
For the last couple of months I experienced computer crashes while playing games or doing anything that uses graphics card intensively. The computer is working normally during browsing and office work...

After checking all driver issues, installing and uninstalling software, I tried starting the laptop only on battery to see what would happen, and all the games that would crash it before worked.

I read somewhere that it might be that the voltage or power regulator(s) might be the cause for this...

Does anyone have any idea or advice what to do next?

Does it even makes sense to try to repair this on a laptop that's 5 years old?

Solution
5 years of getting hot will tax any component, and laptops suffer from heat issues more than any other. Considering there's no way to tell exactly which diode or transistor, capacitor has degraded in the last 5 years, or just how many have degraded, on which boards, whether its just all on the gpu, or main power board, motherboard etc, what you face is a daunting task at best. You could replace the entire guts of the laptop, but then again, you are not looking at New minted components, most likely they are boards that sat on someone's shelf for the last 3-5 years.

Start saving up for a replacement laptop. With what you'll spend to repair yours will result in a 5 year old model, with the 5 year old model capabilities at the cost of a...

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
5 years of getting hot will tax any component, and laptops suffer from heat issues more than any other. Considering there's no way to tell exactly which diode or transistor, capacitor has degraded in the last 5 years, or just how many have degraded, on which boards, whether its just all on the gpu, or main power board, motherboard etc, what you face is a daunting task at best. You could replace the entire guts of the laptop, but then again, you are not looking at New minted components, most likely they are boards that sat on someone's shelf for the last 3-5 years.

Start saving up for a replacement laptop. With what you'll spend to repair yours will result in a 5 year old model, with the 5 year old model capabilities at the cost of a current model with its capabilities.

Solution