Black screen on boot after trying to factory reset PC

kinglawza

Reputable
Jul 20, 2015
I recently tried to factory reset my pc, and at around 10% it said "This PC cannot be reset", then I just restarted my PC as normal, and now it boots up past the brand LOGO screen, then just goes black. There is a cursor if I move my mouse and it does move, sometimes with a sand timer next to it. Struggling to find a way to fix as it's my first time encountering this. I have backed up all my data so that's fine, just need a way to fix it, don't care about any data loss just need to fix it. I have a SSD as my main windows drive, and 2 other drives (1 ssd and 1 HDD for normal storage).

TLDR: Tried to factory reset PC as it was slow, now when I turn it on it is frozen on a black screen after booting past the bios part, not even any loading windows screen

Solution
Easiest way to fix a failed factory reset - fresh install win 10

On another PC, download the Windows 10 media creation tool and use it to make a win 10 installer on USB

detach the 2 spare drives before you start, otherwise win 10 may decide to put boot sector on one of them.
change boot order so USB is first, hdd second
boot from installer
follow this guide: https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/1950-windows-10-clean-install.html

when you reach screen asking for licence, click "I don't have a key" and win 10 should auto activate once you have it installed.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Easiest way to fix a failed factory reset - fresh install win 10

On another PC, download the Windows 10 media creation tool and use it to make a win 10 installer on USB

detach the 2 spare drives before you start, otherwise win 10 may decide to put boot sector on one of them.
change boot order so USB is first, hdd second
boot from installer
follow this guide: https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/1950-windows-10-clean-install.html

when you reach screen asking for licence, click "I don't have a key" and win 10 should auto activate once you have it installed.

Solution