Black screen on boot, overclocking failed when screen is on

Kamij0e

Honorable
Aug 22, 2013
Hello there guys!

So basically as the title says, my pc has black screen when I try to boot. I had my system overclocked before I changed to my new msi gtx970 gaming, but I reseted the CMOS to remove the overclock before the change.

Now when I boot, the screen is completely black, and sometimes the display comes on and says overclocking failed. If I check the BIOS, nothing is wrong and at default. Not even XMP is enabled.

It all started when I changed the graphics card, but it won't even boot with the old one. CMOS has been cleared several times. Even with battery out.

The system has been on fully 2 times since the change.

I am completely out of ideas. Hope someone out there can help

Specs:
ASUS GRYPHON Z87
Intel 4770k
2x8GB G.SKILL TridentX 1600
MSI GTX 970 GAMING
Corsair AX760

Solution
Hi,
Have you tried flashing the BIOS using Flashback?

I tried after I saw this, but it wouldn't recognize the USB or anything.. Have done it lots of times, so I knew I was doing it right.

I did find a solution. Turns out the little DRAM LED was lighting up, so I pulled one of the sticks out, turned on xmp and restarted with the old gpu with no problems. I then updated the BIOS, shut it down, put the other stick in again, booted, enabled xmp, (still no problems), shut it down, connected my new gpu and now everything works perfectly

Kamij0e

Honorable
Aug 22, 2013
Hi,
Have you tried flashing the BIOS using Flashback?

I tried after I saw this, but it wouldn't recognize the USB or anything.. Have done it lots of times, so I knew I was doing it right.

I did find a solution. Turns out the little DRAM LED was lighting up, so I pulled one of the sticks out, turned on xmp and restarted with the old gpu with no problems. I then updated the BIOS, shut it down, put the other stick in again, booted, enabled xmp, (still no problems), shut it down, connected my new gpu and now everything works perfectly

Solution