Black Screen on Start Up [AW17 R5/1070/8750H] [W10 Home]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 31, 2018
Posting this here as a last ditch effort. I believe this might be a Windows issue, as Alienware laptops were having issues with the 1803 update awhile back, but were apparently fixed..

SPECS: Alienware 17 R5 [1070/8750H] [Windows 10 Home/1803]

TL:DR at bottom

Basically what the title says. Random black screen every so often on start up. This happens on battery power and while the PSU is plugged in. This only happens on start up, I've never experienced it after I load into windows.

Sorry in advance for the text wall, but I want to make sure I give as many details as possible.

So I posted this in the r/alienware and r/techsupport awhile back and was unable to find a solution, so I'm hoping someone here can help. I've already contacted Alienware/Dell and their solution was to send me a new Power supply and replace my DC in port (which I'm 100% sure is not the problem due to the fact that my first 17 R5 had this same problem and was completely new with a new PSU, this happens with the laptop plugged in or unplugged) My replacement is also new out of box and has the same issue. (My wife has the same laptop and specs and does not have this issue.) Some people in the AW sub have reported the same or similar issue with no fix.

The problem I'm having is that when I leave the laptop off for 2-3 days after a full shutdown (not hibernating or sleeping), when I go to power it on, the Fx lights, fans, and sometimes windows sounds will appear, but the panel itself does not react and has no backlight or anything. Sometimes it happens the next day after turning it off, it is pretty random.

In order to get the panel to turn on I have to unplug the PSU and hold the power button down for about 15 seconds in order to drain the remaining power, after which the laptop will start just fine.

The first time I called Dell about this issue they told me this was 100% normal, to which I lol'd and hung up, as I knew I wasn't going to get anywhere. This is certainly not "normal" for a $2K machine. The second time they suggested sending me a new PSU. Which will be coming in the next week, which again, I'm pretty certain is not the problem. But I've always started my laptop while plugged in and never while unplugged, so just to rule it out I'm going to turn it on next time without the PSU plugged in to see if it still occurs.

Solutions I've tried:

- Turning off Fast Start in Windows 10
- Reseating the Memory/RAM
- Reseting the CMOS battery
- I've ran every hardware test in Windows 10, Dells support assist app, BIOS POST tests as well as CMD memory tests, everything came back good
- All drivers and BIOS are up to date
- While this happens, I've tried closing the lid and opening it again to see if it would turn on and nothing happens, so I'm pretty certain an issue with the hinge/sensor is not the problem

I don't have any other performance issues or any other problems aside from this. I want to get it sorted out before it becomes something bigger.

The fact that this has happened on two seperate machines with the exact same specs make me believe it's somehow software related or just an issue with the BIOS, but then again not sure why most aren't having this issue, but some are.

Appreciate any help I receive in advance.

TL:DR

After cold starting my laptop 2-3 days after a full shutdown (sometimes 1 day) the panel won't turn on, no backlight or anything, only starts up normally after draining power with psu unplugged and holding the power button down for 10-15 seconds. When the black screen occurs, I am able to get a signal through my TV via HDMI.

Solutions I've tried:

- Turning off Fast Start in Windows 10
- Reseating the Memory/RAM
- Reseting the CMOS battery
- I've ran every hardware test in Windows 10, Dells support assist app, BIOS POST tests as well as CMD memory tests, everything came back good
- All drivers and BIOS are up to date
- While this happens, I've tried closing the lid and opening it again to see if it would turn on and nothing happens, so I'm pretty certain an issue with the hinge/sensor is not the problem

Lutfij

Titan
Have you tried connecting an external display to your laptop and seen if you get any display? Often times the black screen, while on Windows 10, has the video output on either of the GPU's provided you have an iGPU and a dedicated GPU which in your case have both. Can you get into Safe Mode?

Aug 31, 2018

Yeah, I'm able to get a picture if I connect to my TV through HDMI while this happens. I can get into safe mode, just not while the black screen occurs.

Status
Not open for further replies.