Question Black screen on startup, safe-mode works

atanih23

Reputable
Dec 9, 2018
Hiya! I'm having an issue I haven't been able to solve independently.

My computer was booting onto a black screen, where it just stuck there. It seems like it was a video issue since it started up okay and didn't have any other issues. So I went through the process of repairing from Windows 10 installation media on a USB. Having my computer start in safe mode alleviates any issues, and it displays just fine. So I tried reinstalling graphics drivers, but that didn't solve my issue when I booted normally.

After that, I also got a "Your PC did not start properly" message. I wasn't sure if this was just because I was fiddling so much with restarting the computer a lot. I ran a memory diagnostic which came up fine.

So ultimately I'm not sure what the issue is, or if there are any logs of some sort I should look for.

Something else of note: I installed a new video game (Star Wars: The Old Republic) which booted to a black screen. After that is when my issue began. Frequently I have this issue with modern video games because I've been stuck with a monitor for a little while that runs at 1024x768 (yes I know that's pretty silly.) Usually I'm able to remedy this, as I don't have the black screen at boot issue. So that could be a factor too.

System specs:

Windows 10 Home 64-bit (10.0, build 18362)
System Manufacturer: Gigabyte Technology Co., LTD.
System Model: H67MA-USB3-B3
BIOS: Award Modular BIOS v6.00PG
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2600 CPU @ 3.40GHz (8 CPUs), ~3.7GHz
Memory: 16384MB RAM
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960

atanih23

Reputable
Dec 9, 2018
Ah ha, so after removing the video card and using the integrated graphics, it works just fine! Does this mean it's a driver issue for the NVIDIA card? Come to think of it I just realized that I didn't try rolling back to the previous drivers for it.

atanih23

Reputable
Dec 9, 2018
Sheesh I really made this overly difficult on myself. After trying a different port on the GPU and monitor it worked out okay. Lesson learned, do the simple stuff first. Thanks for your help alexoiu.