Question Black screen, PC won't turn off ?

Jan 24, 2023
I recently upgraded my computer; I bought a new case (NZXT H1), a CPU (ryzen 5900x), and a motherboard (Asrock B550M-ITX/ac) a few weeks ago; everything worked fine at first, then I decided to upgrade my ram to 32gb; things worked fine for a few days, but then I started getting these stutters every second in unreal engine, which was strange; Later, I was doing a long shader compilation and left the room. When I returned, my computer screen was black and I couldn't turn off the PC by holding down the power button.

The NZXT H1 case comes with a pre-installed power supply but has no power switch, so I had to turn off the power at the outlet. After that, this issue occurred every time I turned on the computer. I took everything apart and did a bunch of troubleshooting; I used the NZXT H1 PSU in my old pc and it worked, I cleared the CMOS, tried new RAM, and I installed the new motherboard from the NZXT H1 in my old pc without the new cpu, and by doing so, I was able to replicate the error; a black screen and the computer unable to turn off.

At this point, I assumed the problem was a bad motherboard, so I RMAed it (it hasn't returned from rma yet) and bought a new motherboard (GIGABYTE B550I AORUS PRO AX), then installed the new motherboard in the NZXT H1, and I now have the exact same problem; black screen, pc won't turn off, with one difference being that when I try to turn off the pc by holding down the power button, the power button starts blinking. I tried putting the new motherboard in my old computer (with the 5900x installed) and the same issue occurs. I'm not sure what to do or what the problem is; did I get unlucky with two bad motherboards, is the NZXT H1 PSU causing damage to the motherboards, or am I missing something? Should I return the new motherboard and RMA the NZXT H1?

Ralston18

Titan
How is the computer being shutdown? Is the Windows power icon being used?

There should be no need for physically powering off the computer by using a PSU switch or any other physical switch. Exception being that all else has failed - last resort.

When Windows is being shutdown part of the process included getting ready for the next boot up. If that process is circumvented or interrupted by loss of power then file corruption can occur.

That corruption, in turn, often leads to other problems.

At the next succesful boot run "sfc /scannow" and "dism".

FYI:

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-use-sfc-scannow-to-repair-windows-system-files-2626161

How to use DISM command tool to repair Windows 10 image | Windows Central

Hopefully the tools will clean up any problem files that have been corrupted or even lost.

Jan 24, 2023
How is the computer being shutdown? Is the Windows power icon being used?

There should be no need for physically powering off the computer by using a PSU switch or any other physical switch. Exception being that all else has failed - last resort.

When Windows is being shutdown part of the process included getting ready for the next boot up. If that process is circumvented or interrupted by loss of power then file corruption can occur.

That corruption, in turn, often leads to other problems.

At the next succesful boot run "sfc /scannow" and "dism".

FYI:

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-use-sfc-scannow-to-repair-windows-system-files-2626161

How to use DISM command tool to repair Windows 10 image | Windows Central

Hopefully the tools will clean up any problem files that have been corrupted or even lost.

Hello, thanks for your response. I'm unable to shut off the pc by holding down or pressing the power button so I'm forced to turn off the outlet to shut down the pc. I just replaced the cpu 5900x with a 2600 and everything works so I know the new motherboard is working. I figured that the problem is the bios so I tried to update to the latest bios (F16e on the GIGABYTE B550I AORUS PRO AX rev. 1.1), unfortunately this did not fix my problem and I still have a black screen when using the 5900x, I also tried several other bios versions and the issue persist. At this point i'm guessing that the 5900x is broken (no pins are bent) perhaps the motherboard (Asrock B550M-ITX/ac) that i RMAed damaged it. Lastly, I was never able to boot with the 5900x after the crash, only a black screen, with no video signal.

Ralston18

Titan
Not a physical power button.

Right click the Windows icon in the lower left screen corner.

A menu should appear listing "Shut down or sign out". Hover to select that item.

There should be four listed choices: Sign out, Sleep, Shut down, Restart.

"Shut down" should be used to initiate a proper Windows shutdown. No switch/button or unplugging needed.

Unplugging via the outlet is likely to send some electrical jolt into the system and that will end badly.

Software/data corruption at best. Hardware damage at worst.

Hopefully that has not already happened.

For corrupted files try "sfc /scannow" and "dism" per the links in Post #2.

First objective to determine if the computer will boot and run at all. Try safe mode to start with.

Jan 24, 2023
Not a physical power button.

Right click the Windows icon in the lower left screen corner.

A menu should appear listing "Shut down or sign out". Hover to select that item.

There should be four listed choices: Sign out, Sleep, Shut down, Restart.

"Shut down" should be used to initiate a proper Windows shutdown. No switch/button or unplugging needed.

Unplugging via the outlet is likely to send some electrical jolt into the system and that will end badly.

Software/data corruption at best. Hardware damage at worst.

Hopefully that has not already happened.

For corrupted files try "sfc /scannow" and "dism" per the links in Post #2.

First objective to determine if the computer will boot and run at all. Try safe mode to start with.
Brother, with the 5900x installed, I can't use the computer at all because the screen is completely black, there is no video signal. I'm currently using a 2600 with no problems.

Ralston18

Titan
This case?

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/nzxt-h1-v2

Correct as necessary.

This motherboard?

https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/B550I-AORUS-PRO-AX-rev-10/sp#sp

(Verify that I found the applicable User Manual.)

Currently the 2600 works in that motherboard without problems and the 5900X = no display. Correct?

Is that in the new case NZXT H1 or the "original computer case? What PSU is in the original computer case?

Trying to work through the changes to narrow down a suspect.

Can you summarize what combination of components work and which do not (or did not work).

Jan 24, 2023
Yes.
This motherboard?

https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/B550I-AORUS-PRO-AX-rev-10/sp#sp

(Verify that I found the applicable User Manual.)
Yes, except it's the 1.1 revision.
Currently the 2600 works in that motherboard without problems and the 5900X = no display. Correct?
Correct.
Is that in the new case NZXT H1 or the "original computer case? What PSU is in the original computer case?
The GIGABYTE B550I with the 2600 is set up in the NZXT H1.
Can you summarize what combination of components work and which do not (or did not work).
Well, I previously used the 5900x with an Asrock B550M-ITX/ac (I bought the 5900x, NZXT H1 and Asrock B550M-ITX/ac at the same time as an upgrade) it worked and I was able to use the system, then 2 weeks later I upgraded the ram (G.skill AEGIS DDR4 32GB kit (2x16gb) 3200mhz CL16); things worked fine for a few days, but then I started getting these stutters every second in unreal engine. Later, I was doing a long shader compilation and left the room. When I returned, my computer screen was black and I couldn't turn off the PC by holding down the power button (So the same issue which I'm having now) I tried out some different combinations of components and came to the conclusion that the motherboard was the issue. Now, my old motherboard is an x470 so I can't test it with the 5900x. Anyways, I bought a new motherboard (the one I'm currently using) as I thought I had solved the problem, apparently not. To summarize my pc is working with the following components: NZXT H1, G.skill AEGIS DDR4 32GB kit (2x16gb) 3200mhz CL16, Ryzen 2600, GIGABYTE B550I and a 5700XT. When the 5900x is installed in the GIGABYTE b550I there's no video signal.

Ralston18

Titan
"things worked fine for a few days, but then I started getting these stutters every second in unreal engine "

Going back a bit....

Not sure how much has been preserved but take a look in Reliabiity History and Event Viewer.

The purpose being to find any error codes, warnings, or even information events just before or at the time of the stutters.

Especially any differences between when the 2600 was installed and working and when the 5900x was installed and no video signal. The computer still may have been doing or trying to do things.

Also another possible suspect: Unreal Engine.

Not familar with Unreal Engine at all but if it is involved (causing stutters) then ensure that it is not being launched at startup. Or simply uninstall it - may be buggy or corrupt.

"When the 5900x is installed in the GIGABYTE b550I there's no video signal. " If the system is booted into Safe Mode what happens?

= = = =

With all of the changes it is very possible that nothing will work together without a clean Windows install.

FYI:

https://forums.tomshardware.com/faq/windows-10-clean-install-tutorial.3170366

Is all important data backed up? At least 2 x to locations off of the hosted drive(s). Verify that the data is proven recoverable and readable.

Running out of options I think.....

Jan 24, 2023
Not sure how much has been preserved but take a look in Reliabiity History and Event Viewer.
In Reliability history there's a hardware error with the code: 1cc around at the time of the first black screen. I can't really find anything noteworthy in event viewer other than kernel power 41 (63) after my shut downs with the 5900x installed.
Not familar with Unreal Engine at all but if it is involved (causing stutters) then ensure that it is not being launched at startup. Or simply uninstall it - may be buggy or corrupt.
I checked, and It's not being launched at start up.
"When the 5900x is installed in the GIGABYTE b550I there's no video signal. " If the system is booted into Safe Mode what happens?
I don't think I can, since I can't turn off the pc with the power button.
With all of the changes it is very possible that nothing will work together without a clean Windows install.
I guess I could try to do a clean windows reinstall and then install the 5900x, do you think that would be worth a try?
Thanks for your help.