Question Black screen, Personalized settings

Jul 8, 2019
Windows won't load properly. I can get to the log in screen and when I log in it comes to a black screen with a window in the top left corner saying Personalized settings. The forums say open task manager and restart explorer. But task manager won't open. ctrl, alt, del works but nothing after that.
I have tried sfc /scannow and CHKDSK and it had found some errors and repaired but I still have the same issue. Anyone know of any possible fixes?
Thanks

Colif

Win 10 Master
does it say "Personalized settings not responding?"

wonder what safe mode is like
on the login screen, click the power button in bottom right
while holding left shift, click the restart button
win 10 will load into a blue menu on startup
choose troubleshoot
choose advanced
choose start up options
click the restart button
choose a safe mode (it doesn't matter which) by using number associated with it.
Pc will restart and load safe mode

same thing?

in safe mode, try running this in command prompt with admin rights
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth
(spacing is important or you will get error 87)

have you tried making another user and see if it has same problems?
https://support.microsoft.com/en-au/help/4026923/windows-10-create-a-local-user-or-administrator-account
make it admin, and while on normal user, copy contents of old users folder in
C:/users/username
to new users folder in same directory
C:/users/Newusername

that gives it same access as normal user. Handy if you find it works normal, as it could be your profile that is the cause.

Jul 8, 2019
I have tried these steps also. Safe mode asks me for a password where there is only a pin and tried adding a new user and making admin via the advance settings command prompt but does not show up. And I get an error while trying the dism.
I shall try again though

Colif

Win 10 Master
Microsoft pushing people to only have a PIN but at same time, safe mode not accepting PIN, seems like a mistake to me

What happens if you press WIn key + E on desktop, just curious if file explorer works. if it doesn't, we can still access files.

go into command prompt using advanced settings
type notepad and press enter
in notepad, select file>open
Use file explorer to copy any files you need to save to USB or hdd

You can't run a reset using a PIN
You can't get into safe mode using a PIN

I think you need to clean install, hence my showing you how to get info off C that you might want/need to keep

On another PC, download the Windows 10 media creation tool and use it to make a win 10 installer on USB

follow this guide: https://forums.tomshardware.com/faq/how-to-do-a-clean-installation-of-windows-10.3170366/

set up user with a password if it lets you, then it will work in blue menu again if you ever need safe mode.

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS