Black screen, please help.

Whenever i turn my computer on, it loads up normally, then before it gets to
the name/password screen, the whole screen goes black and i have to restart.
I can get in thru safemode, but not in any other mode. I ran many virus
scans and spyware scans and thru msconfig i stopped anything from starting
upon windows startup. i use windows 98. please someone help.

You've been using a computer that won't boot to Normal Mode for months?
Because that's the way I read your original post--that you can't get
into Normal Mode Windows. The last backup of your Registry occurred the
first time you booted to Normal Mode on the last day it booted to Normal
Mode.

Perhaps we understood you wrongly?

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS MVP Shell/User

"AndrewVA" <AndrewVA@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> this is an ongoing problem, it has lasted months, so i dont think the
> registry backup will work.

it boots up, then before it gets to windows screen, the screen goes black,
also i can hear the computer still running after screen goes black.

"Gary S. Terhune" wrote:

> You've been using a computer that won't boot to Normal Mode for months?
> Because that's the way I read your original post--that you can't get
> into Normal Mode Windows. The last backup of your Registry occurred the
> first time you booted to Normal Mode on the last day it booted to Normal
> Mode.
>
> Perhaps we understood you wrongly?
>
> --
> Gary S. Terhune
> MS MVP Shell/User
>
> "AndrewVA" <AndrewVA@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > this is an ongoing problem, it has lasted months, so i dont think the
> > registry backup will work.

also, it isnt the only computer i have. i am giving it to someone and i am
trying to get it fixed.

"Gary S. Terhune" wrote:

> You've been using a computer that won't boot to Normal Mode for months?
> Because that's the way I read your original post--that you can't get
> into Normal Mode Windows. The last backup of your Registry occurred the
> first time you booted to Normal Mode on the last day it booted to Normal
> Mode.
>
> Perhaps we understood you wrongly?
>
> --
> Gary S. Terhune
> MS MVP Shell/User
>
> "AndrewVA" <AndrewVA@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > this is an ongoing problem, it has lasted months, so i dont think the
> > registry backup will work.

May as well look at the dates...

(1)
(a) START button, Settings, Folder Options, View tab.
Bolt "Show all files" & UNcheck "Hide file extensions..."

(b) "START button, Find, F/F, RB???.cab".
Those are the Registry backups, in Sysbckup\. Are there five, plus
an RBbad? Are the dates consistent with each of the last five days
you've successfully boot to Normal Mode? What is the date on RBbad?

--
Thanks or Good Luck,
There may be humor in this post, and,
| it boots up, then before it gets to windows screen, the screen goes
black,
| also i can hear the computer still running after screen goes black.
|
| "Gary S. Terhune" wrote:
|
| > You've been using a computer that won't boot to Normal Mode for
months?
| > Because that's the way I read your original post--that you can't get
| > into Normal Mode Windows. The last backup of your Registry occurred
the
| > first time you booted to Normal Mode on the last day it booted to
Normal
| > Mode.
| >
| > Perhaps we understood you wrongly?
| >
| > --
| > Gary S. Terhune
| > MS MVP Shell/User
| > http://www.grystmill.com/articles/cleanboot.htm
| > http://www.grystmill.com/articles/security.htm
| >
| > "AndrewVA" <AndrewVA@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
| > > this is an ongoing problem, it has lasted months, so i dont think
the
| > > registry backup will work.

Sounds like a refresh rate or screen mode error - try this:

Boot into Safe Mode by either hitting F8 or by holding down the Ctrl key
after memory and drives are checked but before Windows starts up. Enter the
Display Properties screen either from the Control Panel or by right-clicking
an empty part of the desktop and selecting Properties. On the Settings tab,
set the display to 640x480, 256 colors. You'll be warned that these
settings
will be applied when you reboot - that's fine, that's what we want. Restart
the system and you should have a display visible, and you can slowly and
carefully change your display back to the resolution and color depth it was
at, one step at a time.

"AndrewVA" <AndrewVA@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> it boots up, then before it gets to windows screen, the screen goes black,
> also i can hear the computer still running after screen goes black.
>
> "Gary S. Terhune" wrote:
>
>> You've been using a computer that won't boot to Normal Mode for months?
>> Because that's the way I read your original post--that you can't get
>> into Normal Mode Windows. The last backup of your Registry occurred the
>> first time you booted to Normal Mode on the last day it booted to Normal
>> Mode.
>>
>> Perhaps we understood you wrongly?
>>
>> --
>> Gary S. Terhune
>> MS MVP Shell/User
>> http://www.grystmill.com/articles/cleanboot.htm
>> http://www.grystmill.com/articles/security.htm
>>
>> "AndrewVA" <AndrewVA@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > this is an ongoing problem, it has lasted months, so i dont think the
>> > registry backup will work.

If you're giving this to someone else, presumably including the
software, I'd recommend you reformat the entire thing and install fresh.

--

> also, it isnt the only computer i have. i am giving it to someone and
> i am
> trying to get it fixed.
>
> "Gary S. Terhune" wrote:
>
>> You've been using a computer that won't boot to Normal Mode for
>> months?
>> Because that's the way I read your original post--that you can't get
>> into Normal Mode Windows. The last backup of your Registry occurred
>> the
>> first time you booted to Normal Mode on the last day it booted to
>> Normal
>> Mode.
>>
>> Perhaps we understood you wrongly?
>>
>> --
>> Gary S. Terhune
>> MS MVP Shell/User
>> http://www.grystmill.com/articles/cleanboot.htm
>> http://www.grystmill.com/articles/security.htm
>>
>> "AndrewVA" <AndrewVA@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > this is an ongoing problem, it has lasted months, so i dont think
>> > the
>> > registry backup will work.

To add to Gary's recommendation of a fresh install, you need to be aware
that just because a file has been deleted, there is fairly cheap software
that will retrieve it. If it were me, I would format the partition, install
W98 and all patches/software/drivers/etc. Then run defrag and once done,
get a program like the one below which will overwrite all the free space and
destroy remaining data:

Eraser: http://www.heidi.ie/eraser/ Freeware that overwrites the "blank"
data on a
hard drive.
--
Regards

Ron Badour, MS MVP for W98
Tips: http://home.satx.rr.com/badour
Knowledge Base Info:

> Whenever i turn my computer on, it loads up normally, then before it gets
> the name/password screen, the whole screen goes black and i have to
restart.
> I can get in thru safemode, but not in any other mode. I ran many virus
> scans and spyware scans and thru msconfig i stopped anything from starting
> upon windows startup. i use windows 98. please someone help.

Run the Add New Hardware wizard in Control Panel.

At the opportune moment, do not let Windows
search for new hardware.

Instead, choose the option to "select new hardware from a list".

Change your Video Adapter to Standard VGA.

Try to reboot into Normal Mode.