Question Black screen problem - graphics card broken? -solved

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 22, 2020
Hej,

So yesterday a hardtube in my watercooling setup broke (dunno how that happened all of the sudden wither me changing/moving anything)
Lucky me the crack had been on the side besides the front radiator so the hardware has not gone wet, as far as I noticed.

I have built everything back to air cooling for now, but I have made a mistake. At first I have forgotten to connect the fan on my zotac 1080gtx ti.
I booted the system, got a screen and everything. Then I noticed, that the GPU had a temperature of 95°C (Got that displayed right on my desktop) and just as I noticed the screens went black.

Okay, woops. I connected the fan and booted again. Everything seemed to be working kind of okay now.
graphics card had a temp of 60°C (which I think is quite high in idle) and I wanted to start up a game to test.

I got into the game screen and even got into my savegame, then all my screens went black and the GPU fan was getting loud, but I could still hear sound.
After rebooting again one of my screens was still black, but that was fixed by replugging the cable.

So, today I want to take a closer look if I can isolate the problem. I got a few spare parts to swap.
I am afraid my graphics card is broken.

My question is:
Anyone got ideas how to fix this?

Or any other ideas what could be the problem besides the graphics card?

Drivers are up to date and browsing the internet is working fine. I have only tested one game so far, as it was getting late.

I was planning on getting a new PC at the end of the year, when some new hardware is released, so I am hesitant to get new parts now.

May 22, 2020
Okay, so I don't know why my last thread was deleted. But here is my problem with as much details as I can think of:

My system:
MB: ASRock 370x taichi
CPU: Ryzen 7 1700
GPU: Zotac GTX 1080ti
3 monitors in use, all via display port

What happened:
My system was watercooled with hard tubes and yesterday, all of the sudden, one of the tube had a crack.
I immidiatly turned off my system and then started draining all the cooling liquid.
As far as I noticed no hardware got wet, as the cracked tube was in the front, away from any hardware.

I then rebuild my system back to air cooling, which means the CPU got the boxed fan and the GPU got back it's old case.
I have been dumb enough to forget to plug in the GPU fan. So upon booting my system for the first time after the rebuilding I just had enough time to notice that the GPU got 95°C, when the screens went black and the system turned off.

Well I unscrewed the GPU again and plugged in the fan, booted my PC and everything seemed to be working at first glance.
I was able to browse the internet just fine, but when I tried gaming my screen went black just after loading a savegame.
I could still hear sound (ingame and youtube), but nothing on the screens.

Is my graphics card broken or could anything else cause this?
Could this error be fixed by reapplying new termal paste on the graphics card (I did not change the thermal paste)?
Any other ideas how to fiy this problem?

I will do some testing on my system after work, but I am hoping for some ideas to isolate the problem.

Thanks a lot

Dji

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Lets rule out the basics.

Are you overclocking anything (CPU, GPU, memory)? If so, revert to stock speeds.

Is your motherboard BIOS the most current version?

Is Windows fully updated? Same for all of your major drivers (chipset, video, network, etc).

May 22, 2020
Okay sure :)
I am not overclocking (I have been, but that's about two years ago.)
BIOS is up to date. Just checked a few days ago, since I was having perfomance issues while streaming (problem has been the streaming software)
Windows and drivers are also updated (also checked this while having performance issues)

May 22, 2020
Both CPU and GPU were water cooled before. (As mentioned I forgot to connect the GPU fan on first start up x.x) both running at max temp of 40°C under load with the water cooling.

The idle temp is:
CPU around 30 to 35°C
GPU around 50 to 55°C

Can't really test under load, because I am getting black screens then. But I can try some other programms once I'm home.

Just tried running a benchmark. Screens are going black under any kind of load. So I can't provide temperatures for that.

I'm going to change some parts one by one now to isolate the problem.

Edit: it's not the gpu. That's working fine in another computer, even though it's loud.
Now I'm testing the psu.

Last edited:
May 20, 2020
Hej,

So yesterday a hardtube in my watercooling setup broke (dunno how that happened all of the sudden wither me changing/moving anything)
Lucky me the crack had been on the side besides the front radiator so the hardware has not gone wet, as far as I noticed.

I have built everything back to air cooling for now, but I have made a mistake. At first I have forgotten to connect the fan on my zotac 1080gtx ti.
I booted the system, got a screen and everything. Then I noticed, that the GPU had a temperature of 95°C (Got that displayed right on my desktop) and just as I noticed the screens went black.

Okay, woops. I connected the fan and booted again. Everything seemed to be working kind of okay now.
graphics card had a temp of 60°C (which I think is quite high in idle) and I wanted to start up a game to test.

I got into the game screen and even got into my savegame, then all my screens went black and the GPU fan was getting loud, but I could still hear sound.
After rebooting again one of my screens was still black, but that was fixed by replugging the cable.

So, today I want to take a closer look if I can isolate the problem. I got a few spare parts to swap.
I am afraid my graphics card is broken.

My question is:
Anyone got ideas how to fix this?

Or any other ideas what could be the problem besides the graphics card?

Drivers are up to date and browsing the internet is working fine. I have only tested one game so far, as it was getting late.

I was planning on getting a new PC at the end of the year, when some new hardware is released, so I am hesitant to get new parts now.
Asumming its the graphics card. Have you bought a new one? Also, remember to always update video drivers and make sure your monitor isnt damaged. Maybe a faulty monitor cable too? Try get a new one and see if it fixes. Also remember to disable any GPU overclocks, or atleast disable startup.

May 22, 2020
So today I tested a few things: swapped the graphics card first. And the PC was running the benchmark without problems. I then put my graphics card in the other pc and that one ran without problems too. So I guess it's not the gpu.

Second test was psu, which will also go into further testing tomorrow. My guess is, that the psu can't handle high wattage anymore. So I'll be using a different one on my system for testing. Hoping everything will run smoothly then.

Then I'm just getting a new psu and a new fan cooler for my gpu as it's running on 100% fan speed during benchmark. Sounds like an airplane starting.

It could possibly be the mb too, I can test that tomorrow. Today I only had a second psu with significantly lower power, so I couldn't rule out that this error occurred because of that. I will be able to use a higher watt psu tomorrow.

But I am very pleased, that there was no blackscreeen with my graphics card in another pc setup. So the most expensive thing seems to be ruled out.

And I am not buying stuff on assumptions. That's why I am asking in the first place. I want to isolate the error as best as I can before buying new parts. When I can't get any further or when I am pretty sure which part is defect, that's when I am buying new parts.

May 22, 2020
Okay, I am an idiot and I should feel ashamed and sorry for my GPU.

When swapping back to air cooling I totally used the wrong screws.
I just found the bag with the old ones (and most importantly the spring loaded ones) and in that process also replaced the thermal paste.

Neither GPU nor PSU was broken. The GPU just had it's survival instics kicking in.
Everything is working fine.
Thanks for the help anyways.

Status
Not open for further replies.