Black Screen Reboot without Crash Dump

NyteKeller

Reputable
Aug 18, 2015
Issue started while Windows 7 was still installed. I am now on a week old clean (full format) install of Windows 10.

(Primarily) When playing Minecraft (modded, FTB packs The Dark Trilogy, Regrowth, and Hubris) my PC will eventually drop to a black screen and reboot. Prior to the reboot, however, I will regain sound for a couple of seconds. I end up hearing my friends on Skype and they say that they have heard me curse just before the reboot happens, so it seems as if Windows is attempting to recover from whatever crash is happening, but failing.

My Event Viewer shows a fair amount of RaidPort0 resets (Storahci Event ID 129) and other HDD related Warning/Error/Crits. (NTFS 137, disk 7) I have no crashdumps after reboot.

So, I would assume it is an HDD issue, but the near recovery from the blackscreen makes me want to think that it's a video failure.

Any insight or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Specs:

ASUS M5A99 FX Pro Rev 2.0
Phenom II X6 1090t
12GB generic DDR3-1333 Non-ECC RAM
eVGA GeForce GTX 570 HD
2x Whitelabel 500GB SATA2 HDDs
Thermaltake 750W PSU

NyteKeller

Reputable
Aug 18, 2015

Quite positive. I've checked via browsing for them, searching for them, and using a handy-dandy little program called 'WhoCrashed?' I have no Mini or Memory dumps. I verified my dump settings (Full dumps) and increased page file to 200MB beyond the size of my RAM, just to make sure.

And that's the conclusion I continue to come to, but the question is -which- hardware and I just can't figure it out.

GoMadman

Reputable
Dec 8, 2015
NyteKeller,

I too have this issue. I also have an ASUS motherboard and NVidia video card. This issue became apparent after installing Windows 10. I have two other systems with Windows 10 that have an AMD/ATI video card in them which do not have this issue. This leads me to believe that it's the Windows 10 Video drivers for the NVidia video card.

Try updating your Video card drivers from NVidia making sure to uninstall the current driver first. Since I have an extra AMD/ATI card, I will be switching over to it.

Good luck!