Question Black screen reboots while gaming

Aug 10, 2021
Last year in June I got a new PC for gaming and the PC ran pretty well until around September when I started suffering from WHEA-18 errors, while gaming my PC will randomly just reboot. I've noticed the error really only seems to occur while gaming, even while idle I've not had it occur. It also seems to happen more often if I have a game running above 100 FPS. I've tried troubleshooting it as it seems like a relatively common problem affecting the 5000 series of AMD processors and GPUs but haven't made much headway in resolving the problem.

My PC specs:

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600

GPU: ASUS DUAL RX5700 EVO

PSU: Aresgame 650w Bronze Certified

Motherboard: Gigabyte B450m DS3H rev.1 (Running latest BIOS F61)

RAM: T-Force Dark Z DDR4 16GB x2 (XMP-3200MHz)

Storage:
1863GB Western Digital WDC WD20EZAZ-00GGJB0 HDD:

447GB ADATA SU635 (SATA (SSD)):

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/Z2w5sKWLKp1fxIOhqUtBVE1

Added speccy just to be a little more precise on any info.

Aug 10, 2021
Is this a prebuilt? are you overclocked? touch anything in bios settings?
If not, is it still under warranty? RMA it.

and that psu is a bit suspicious fwiw.

It is prebuilt, the people I bought it from have me covered under a warranty and I've been trying to communicate with them but their replies tend to be slow. They did replace my old PSU with the Aresgame PSU though.

As far as I know I'm not overclocked. I checked my BIOS the other day and the readings I had from it are:

CPU:

Frequency: 3600MHz
BCLK: 100.26
Temp: 56c
Voltage: 1.033
CPU Clock: 100.00MHz

Memory:

Frequency 3200MHz
Size: 16384MB
Ch A/B Voltage: 1.380

Voltage:

+5V 5.070 +12 12.456

And under Advanced Voltage all of the options there are set to "Auto"

DVID - Auto
Dynamic VCORE SoC - Auto
VDDP Voltage - Auto
VDDG Voltage - Auto
DRAM Voltage - Auto 1.200V

The only stuff I've tinkered with in BIOS was setting the idle power to "Typical Current Idle" and I turned off PBO and CBO and I've turned off XMP and turned it back on at different times.

Aug 10, 2021
Does this occur with xmp disabled?

i find the psu suspicious, it may be causing your issue (or at least exacerbating it).

The error has occurred both with XMP disabled and enabled, it's possible with the PSU but I've not attempted to mess around with the voltage numbers or anything to that extent.

Jmi20

Prominent
Jun 5, 2020
A low quality psu will always give you problems, eventually. Im not saying that the psu is bad, but if you had not touched anything else it would be my prime suspect.

but i say just rma it. much easier cause its difficult to pinpoint what exactly the cause of a whea 18 error is. plus even if its actually the psu at fault theres no telling what else it broke.

Aug 10, 2021
A low quality psu will always give you problems, eventually. Im not saying that the psu is bad, but if you had not touched anything else it would be my prime suspect.

but i say just rma it. much easier cause its difficult to pinpoint what exactly the cause of a whea 18 error is. plus even if its actually the psu at fault theres no telling what else it broke.

Yeah I'm just not sure, that's why I've been trying to get some troubleshooting help just in case cause I'm still waiting to hear back from the people I bought the PC from and I've seen a lot of people with issues with some similar combinations to CPU and GPU

TRENDING THREADS