Black Screen, Screen only works in safe mode

samgilardi

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2011
Hello Everyone,

i have an HP Pavillion dv7 with windows7. It is less then 3 months old.

Problem- Yesterday the screen went black while i was watching a video, but the sound kept going. so i restarted the computer, and the screen works until you get to the login screen it goes black again.

SO i called customer service at hp, and we worked on it for an hour.

We tryed multiple things, including system restore.

THe one thing that seems to work is when i go to the device manager, uninstall the display adapters, and restsart in normal mode, then i go and reinstall the ATI device thing in the recovery manager, but everytime after i reinstall the ATI display device thing, it ends up going black a little while later again.

Is the ATI display device broken or something? is there any way to fix this on my own? or should i just go to best buy and hope they dont destroy my computer.. lol

Well, it should be under warranty. If updated drivers don't fix the issue, then it could be an overheating graphics chip. Either way, I would just rma the thing ASAP.

exo 1250

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2011
Safe mode uses a basic display driver. As the screen functions in safe mode, then your currently installed graphics driver must be the first suspect.
Download and install the correct driver.
http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/Pages/index.aspx

ATI/AMD recommend removing the existing driver before installing the new.
There is a video on the above link that shows you how to do this.

Am I correct in assuming the screen goes black most of the time or just when playing a video?

uninstall the graphics driver and all other ati software such as catalyst control center--then do not reinstall it--download drivercleaner or driver sweeper and use them to remove all traces of ati drivers--restart in safe mode and run drivercleaner/sweeper again--reboot and install the graphics driver to see if it fixes the problem

this usually is caused by updating graphics drivers without totally wiping out the old ones

TRENDING THREADS