Black screen / Shutdown while gaming

Aug 21, 2018
Hi everyone,

my specs are:

-ASRock 970 Extreme4 AMD970
-AMD FX-6300 3.5GHz
-AMD Radeon R9 380 4GB (Software 18.8.1)
-2x Crucial Ballistix Sport 4GB DDR3-1600
-500Watt CoolerMaster B500

Only while gaming i randomly get black screens. Keyboard and mouse also loose power and the sound stops. Case fan, CPU fan and GPU fan keep running. If i shutdown and restart everything is back normal. This only happens while gaming (e.g. CIV5, CS:GO) but not while browsing, watching videos etc.

Having read several threads about similar issues i already tried to narrow it down by using memtest, FurMark and IntelBurn Test, but they work perfectly fine both alone and simoultaniously. Monitoring CPU and GPU temps with MSI Afterburner i would rule out high temp as they are both around 50°C when the black screen occurs (GPU temp while using FurMark was up to 80° without any problem).

I have the problem for about a year now. Since then i have updated my graphic cards driver several times but it didnt help. Everything worked fine when i built the PC in the first place. When the problem started i also noted that i did not occur while playing LoL, but i haven't played that for a while so i cant say if this is still true.

They only other issue i have with the PC is that Windows keeps freezing for a couple seconds every once and a while, but i don't know if this might be related in any way.

As i said i read several threads about similar issues and i thought it might be a defective PSU, but i'm not quite sure as the problem does not appear when using IntelBurn Test and FurMark.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Solution
I think it is your power supply the PSU you have has only 24A on the +12v kind of low for that GPU. I was using a AMD 990 board with the FX8350 CPU and a HD7970 GPU the same thing as the R9-380. I was using a low amp PSU that was only getting 24A on the +12v. was getting the same thing you are getting now when I move up the PSU to a good corsair AX850 that has a +12v at 71A it all works well it is still in use now.
You may want to look at a better PSU SeaSonic G series 550 or the 650 will work fine.

The PSU I had when I was having the same problem you are was the CP1000 /1000w from antc is only was 21A on the +12v

mhtsgr999

Honorable
Oct 21, 2013
I was facing the same issue with RX480 for so long, But then I uninstalled the latest AMD adrenaline drivers using DDU and let the WINDOWS UPDATES download the drivers for me and that solved the problem.

You can also try to flash BIOS and see if that helps.
https://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/?architecture=&manufacturer=&model=R9+380&version=&interface=&memType=&memSize=&since=

Good luck.

loksted

Honorable
Apr 10, 2018
CPU over heat? How long does this happen after launching a game? AMD FX 6300 isn't really made for gaming in 2018. If it was the GPU the screen would have been blue telling you that there's a hardware failure. Something like shutdown to prevent hardware damage. The solutions are: Get a new CPU (expensive), Lower the graphics (Lower the physics a low as possible if there is an option to. Lower resolution (If you dont need to snipe people from a kilometer then you wouldn't even spot a difference in 1366x768 instead of full hd. Lower texture settings (it doen't even look bad if you don't really pay attention to it. If you have Nvidia gpu then change the physics processor to your gpu but I don't know about AMD. But check PSU if it overheats too. Have a nice gaming day :D

Aug 21, 2018
So far i tried:

- uninstalling AMD driver using DDU and reinstalling it using Windows Update
- flashing graphic card bios and motherboard bios
- lowering graphics

everything without success. I will try changing my PSU as this seems to be the only remaining solution. How do i check beforehand if my PSU has any issues? The strange thing is, that i dont have the issue when using FurMark and IntelBurn. Shouldn't they also "overload" the PSU?

@loksted: it really varies a lot when it happens. Sometimes right after launching the game, sometimes after 30 minutes. I really dont think its a temperature problem, as sometines both CPU and GPU temps are below 50°C when it happens.

mhtsgr999

Honorable
Oct 21, 2013

Try to change power limit in MSI afterburner to -10% .

trampus123

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I think it is your power supply the PSU you have has only 24A on the +12v kind of low for that GPU. I was using a AMD 990 board with the FX8350 CPU and a HD7970 GPU the same thing as the R9-380. I was using a low amp PSU that was only getting 24A on the +12v. was getting the same thing you are getting now when I move up the PSU to a good corsair AX850 that has a +12v at 71A it all works well it is still in use now.
You may want to look at a better PSU SeaSonic G series 550 or the 650 will work fine.

The PSU I had when I was having the same problem you are was the CP1000 /1000w from antc is only was 21A on the +12v

Solution