[SOLVED] Black Screen Video Hardware Error (multiple cards)

whitelion1284

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2013
Hey folks,
so I had a 1660ti that suddenly stopped working. I was gaming when the screen went black. I could still here and talk to my squad-mates but I had no video. Could not tab out or restore video without a reboot.
After trying other games, updating drivers and going through it all again I came to the conclusion that the card was bad. So I sent it back and swapped in my old Radeon 7870. The Radeon is now behaving the same way.
I tried benchmarking it and the instant the fan spins up the screen goes black, at first just for a few seconds but after several more iterations of this the monitor goes black and tells me it has no signal. After rebooting I have display again but I can't actually game.
What is causing this? Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks for reading,
cheers

Solution
You can use the onboard intel iGPU to run the PC to see you can boot up.

And you can test the GPU in other PC, if you can.
1) Maybe the driver issues, like gpu driver. Or other game keyboard, headset, etc.
You should try to use DDU to unistall the GPU driver, then reinstall it. DDU https://www.guru3d.com/files_details/display_driver_uninstaller_download.html

2) Maybe the OS issue. Run the SFC, and make sure the window has the most recent updates.
SFC https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...er-tool-to-repair-missing-or-corrupted-system

3) Maybe cpu/gpu overheat, check the temps during the game with the software, like MSI afterburner.

4) Maybe the hardware, like the RAM, PSU etc.
What PSU did you have?
Test the RAM with https://www.memtest86.com/download.htm

whitelion1284

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2013
Thanks for the input.
Windows is up to date.
Drivers are up to date and the same issue is happening with two different gpu's from different manufacturers with different chipsets. So I don't think it's the drivers.
I replaced the psu in case it was failing.
The problem persists.
At this point I don't know if it's software or hardware and, if hardware, which component it might be. I'm fairly sure the psu is good. The motherboard has been reliable for years but I do know they can go bad. The backup card might be bad... but it's strange, right? A 6yo Radeon 7870 and a brand new Nvida 1660ti are doing the exact same thing.

How would I ascertain what the issue is?

whitelion1284

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2013
Reliability tool calls it a "Video Harware Error" that is further defined as a LiveKernelEvent and there are several files that describe the problem that I don't know how to open. I can view them in notepad++ but I don't understand what I'm looking at.

The old PSU was a gold rated 850w that may or may not have been bad. The one I replaced it with is a gold rated 750w, both from corsair.

whitelion1284

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2013
2 different graphics cards from 2 different manufacturers using 2 different chipsets, drivers and control software are simultaneously manifesting the exact same behavior at the exact same time?
I find this implausible. Something else is wrong. Something is causing these cards to fail.
At first I suspected the power supply but I've replaced it and the problem persists.
At the moment I suspect the motherboard but would like to test and make sure before I purchase a new one. (I have a Haswell i5 4690k which requires specific MB architecture to function and hunting down the correct board could be... annoying.)
Got any suggestions?
EDIT: Nothing is overclocked.