Black screen, visible cursor, Win 7

mizkay59

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2011
Black screen, visible cursor, Win 7, after boot, after win logo, at logon screen! I have unplugged & plugged in desktop, monitor; removed any usb external drives, tried all restarts [safe, networking, etc.].Can't get to a screen I can work with [all microsoft fixes assume one can get to working desktop to run sys restore]. STUCK! Don't want to do a re-install and lose everything!

mizkay59

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2011
Thanks Tank. I tapped F8 & got into Repair area, ran Startup repair several times, tried sys restore several times, finally went down the line to Memory Diagnostics--which ran and restarted and windows started with the desktop showing :bounce: .....except that now the networking is messed up :pfff: and I can't get online. Ran Malwarebytes and got rid of 58 bad files. Network still messed up :fou: ...All this has happened since I updated to Service Pack 1 for Win 7!! Right now I am backing up everything so I can run ccleaner . Need to fix the networking problem, and Windows still won't start right--I had to run the Memory check in the Repair section to get it going again. Use the disk? I sure would if I could find it... :(
Thanks again for your time and attention. Any further ideas would be welcome.

oznbolivia

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2011

''''''''''''''''''''''
Maybe I have found the problem. Micro Soft down loaded updates for Win 8. As well as other things that I am not running. Go to control panel, system and security, windows updates, view updates. Uninstall all updates from before the problem. Turn off automatic up dates, put manual updates on manual. Seem that 70% of the updates they download do not apply to my computers. Another solution change operating systems.

OznBolivia

mizkay59

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2011

Thanks for your help. I will try your ideas.