Question Black screen w/ Asus ROG Maximus XI Hero + RTX 2080ti or Titan X

Dcchan

Reputable
Dec 21, 2015
Hi all, I just built myself a new machine and on day one I opened the first app that would use the GPU accordingly and the screen went black, never came back.
Here's my full build:
- CPU: Intel Core i9-9900K
- Mobo: ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero (Wi-Fi) Z390
- GPU: 1x EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti, 11G-P4-2280-KR
- RAM: Corsair Vengeance 64GB (4x16GB) DDR4 3200 (CMU64GX4M4C3200C16)
- CPU-Cooling: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4, BK022
- Storage: 2X Samsung 860 QVO 2TB - RAID 1 + 1 Samsung 860 QVO 250GB
- PSU: CORSAIR RM1000x
- Case: NZXT H700
- Displays: Samsung U28D590D 28" 4K (UHD) LED + Wacom 27QHD

I know that many RTX 2080ti owners are having issues, so after trying some stuff I immediately tried it out to stick my old GPU in, a Titan X 1st gen... and exactly the same thing, worked until I opened something, now it doesn't even show anything.

I'm using the system internal GP in order to test things, all stock, no OC. and no luck.

What I tried so far.
  • It's all brand new, so I tried Updated BIOS and Windows 10, nothing.
  • Removing and re-installing Nvidia drivers, nothing.
  • Clearing CMOS and changing some settings, like PCI-E from Gen 3 to Gen 1 and reverse, no luck
  • Disabled windows Fast-boot, and some sleep options, no luck.
  • Tried 2 GPUs, with the RTX 2080ti, it doesn't even lit up the GPU logo on the card anymore. It lights up for half a sec than goes dark and video signal never comes up.
  • With the TItan X, exactly the same, but I did got signal using HDMI instead of Displayport, it lasts only 2 or 3 minutes before going dark.
  • Simplified boot, 1 RAM stick, 1 sata and such. No change.
What I'm thinking next:
  • Trying to get some VESA certified cables?
  • RMA the motherboard? Already did, arrives on Friday.
  • RMA RTX GPU, because it doesn't even power up.
  • Try a new PSU, but I was using this one on another build with the Titan X and it worked fine.
  • Diagnose RAM maybe? I don't know if matters and how to do it :D
  • Maybe an CPU issue?
Things I noticed:
  • Temperatures were really low right before it crashing and going black, no over-heating
  • Before dying the RTX was flickering the screen quite a lot.
  • The Titan X was working fine for about 10 mins, than it just went dark too, but the system was still on, playing music and such for good 10 mins.
I'm fearing that RMA the Mobo and GPU won't solve anything, so any help is much appreciated fellas!

Last edited:

Dcchan

Reputable
Dec 21, 2015
get all the extra power to the motherboard?
1 x 24-pin EATX Power connector(s)
1 x 8-pin EATX 12V Power connectors
1 x 4-pin ATX 12V Power connector(s)
Hi rgd, thanks for your help.
Yep, all 3 properly powered, maybe my psu could be faulty thou, it's 3.5 years old now. And my previous built started showing some weird GPU related issues as well. Maybe it wasn't the Gpu.

Dcchan

Reputable
Dec 21, 2015
Alright a update!

It turned out it was the Motherboard all along, for a while I though it was GPU or CPU related, but when I RMA the MB, I think it had some pins missing in the processor socket, I may be wrong.

I replaced the MB with another of the same model and before installing the GPU, I updated the BIOS and replaced my Displayport cable with one certified and everything worked perfectly! Both RTX 2080 ti and TITAN X

Cya!