Black screen w/ blinking cursor in top left?

Sad Computerman

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2014
Hello! I recently did some upgrades to my custom computer. I went from an HP ANgelica Motherboard to a Biostar TA970, and went from 10GB RAM to 24GB (The motherboard can take up to 64GB so this is not the issue). Upon booting, I get the American Megatrends screen with pc specifications, then it Immediately jumps to a blank, black screen with a blinking underscore-like cursor in the top left, I have been looking at similar cases of this and they all say it's a hard disk failure, however Hooked the hard drive up to the old motherboard and the previous parts and BAM! Booted up straight into windows 8, waiting for me to put in my password. Other people said for a new motherboard you have to do a fresh install of eveyrhting. The next problem: The hard drive I use is ad 1TB Western Digital Blue, but it came from a HPE-Envy I bought off of tigerdirect (Which is the computer that the Angelica motherboard also came from). Therefore, I do not have a windows install disk, and there's no way I can afford to buy a new copy of windows. I can boot into linux from a CD and it works fine, and the motherboard it says, is in good working order. I am about at my wits end with this problem. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks for your time =)

UPDATE: After booting into Linux, It was discovered that from there I can actually acsess my hard disk, and all the files on it. Helpful if I need to grab anything off of it in a pinch, I guess.

Sad Computerman

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2014

Okay, Sounds quite do-able, but How do I find the original windows 8 liscense key? The hard rive cam e pre installed with windows 8 from HP, And I don't know How I'd go about finding it