[SOLVED] Black Screen when benchmarking

Mar 24, 2022
So I recently upgraded my GPU from GTX 960 to GTX 970 (2nd hand) , I got it after benchmarking and checking its temp it worked fine , when I brought it home and plug it in the benchmark ran fine! But I had a 400w PSU which is said to be not enough for gaming for hours so I got a 500w PSU ( 2nd hand) . When I got the PSU they plugged it in and showed me it still works fine. So I got it plugged it with my GTX 970 AND now whenever I run Heaven or Valley benchmark , I get a black screen of death and have to hard reboot. I don't know what the problem is , I used DDU and installed the new drivers that's all I tried for fixed.

Please help!

• Windows 10 pro
  • Gigabyte B85M-D3H
  • i5 4th gen
  • 8GB DDR3 (4x2)
  • Galax GeForce GTX 970 4GB
  • PowerStar PT 500w plus PSU
  • 240GB Kingston Solid State Drive
Note: I still have my prev Coolermaster Elite v3 400w PSU , thinking if I should plug it in and check whether the benchmarks will run without any issues.

Thank you!
-

Last edited:
Solution
Ouch, this PC should never have been turned on with that GPU/PSU combination. It's fake 500W PSU; assuming this is the PowerStar PT-500A, it's only really a 240W PSU in any meaningful sense. We'd know for sure if you posted an image of the specs on the side of the PSU. Unless you have a different model that's far better than this one, the only thing this should ever be connected to is the conveyer belt at a recycling center.

The old one is "better" in that it's closer to being a real 400W PSU, but that's an ancient, group-regulated unit, also not capable of 400W of +12V power and very cheaply made. Not something I'd ever want to use with any GPU that requires supplementary power.

The only way to eliminate problems with power...

DSzymborski

Titan
Ouch, this PC should never have been turned on with that GPU/PSU combination. It's fake 500W PSU; assuming this is the PowerStar PT-500A, it's only really a 240W PSU in any meaningful sense. We'd know for sure if you posted an image of the specs on the side of the PSU. Unless you have a different model that's far better than this one, the only thing this should ever be connected to is the conveyer belt at a recycling center.

The old one is "better" in that it's closer to being a real 400W PSU, but that's an ancient, group-regulated unit, also not capable of 400W of +12V power and very cheaply made. Not something I'd ever want to use with any GPU that requires supplementary power.

The only way to eliminate problems with power delivery will have to involve a PSU of at least minimally acceptable quality -- a Tier C unit in the tier list in the PSU forums is acceptable to test but lower than a Tier B isn't worth spending money on.

Solution
Mar 24, 2022

The only way to eliminate problems with power delivery will have to involve a PSU of at least minimally acceptable quality -- a Tier C unit in the tier list in the PSU forums is acceptable to test but lower than a Tier B isn't worth spending money on.

Did I mess my PC up by turning on with this power supply, should I switch for the old one for now without gaming

DSzymborski

Titan
Did I mess my PC up by turning on with this power supply, should I switch for the old one for now without gaming

It's not a good unit either, but as long as you don't put a load on it, it's probably OK just to see if the GPU is working.

I'm certainly hoping the GPU's fine. I just wish you had asked before this problem; an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure!

Mar 24, 2022
Update :- Plugged in my Coolermaster 400w just to check if its a GPU or PSU prob . benchmark worked 60fps , 65 gpu temp.
took my gpu off , didnt wanna pair the two for longer time. Thanks! I was scared if it was a GPU prob <3

Mar 24, 2022
@DSzymborski Mate is it possible the problem is with the VGA port , I have a old monitor where there is only the VGA port , so I am using a converter from VGA port to HDMI and then connect to the 970, someone told me that is also possible the prob might be cus 500w gives a higher resolution which my old monitor can't handle (Something along those lines , i can't say for certain cus idk). When I run benchmarks, black screen comes up maybe it can't handle the high res ??? idk wht iam talking about honestly

DSzymborski

Titan
@DSzymborski Mate is it possible the problem is with the VGA port , I have a old monitor where there is only the VGA port , so I am using a converter from VGA port to HDMI and then connect to the 970, someone told me that is also possible the prob might be cus 500w gives a higher resolution which my old monitor can't handle (Something along those lines , i can't say for certain cus idk). When I run benchmarks, black screen comes up maybe it can't handle the high res ??? idk wht iam talking about honestly

The PSU has absolutely nothing to do with the resolution of a monitor. You should never trust the computer advice of anyone who told you this.

The new "500W" PSU-shaped object should not be used no matter what. Your GPU could be functioning with it and using this PSU would still be extremely dangerous.

You should certainly not be doing benchmarking on either of these PSUs. You have two PSUs: a junk one and an even worse one. By trying to benchmark, you're putting a high load on the GPU, vastly increasing the chances that your GPU dies or dies while taking the rest of your computer with it.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
18A - 12v1
18A - 12v2
30A if you are lucky. Multi rail amperage doesn't add perfectly. At absolute best, brand new that psu is good for @ 350w-360w. Most of those junk tier psus go south at @ the 50% load mark.
View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=f6snWfd1v7M
Sad to say, but that CM Elite is a much better class psu, even as iffy as it is. Wattage rating does not make a better psu, the Model does.

Even the old Seasonic S12-II/M12-II 520w would be a vast improvement.