cpu: ryzen 7 2700x
psu: corsair TX650M 80 plus gold 2 years old
RAM: 32gb gskill ddr4 3200mhz
OS ssd:WD Blue 250gb
HDD: 4tb WD blue
motherboard: ROG Strix x370-f gaming
Case: coolermaster H-500
monitor:AOC CQ32G1 32"
every thing is 3 years old and this is the only issue iv ever had with this pc.

for the past 2/3 weeks iv noticed that some games display a black screen when they launch (skyrim/fallout 4/original resident evil remaster) where as other games seem to run fine (war hammer total war 2/halo infinate/valheim/X4 foundations)no black screen, as if what ever transition is happening isn't with those games, but after messing around with ini files I'm starting to think its not the games,
for example if I change settings like resolution or refresh rate (in display setting/Nvidia control panel) down from what my pc setup can handle (1440p/144hz) the black screen issue happens even then, outside of any game, its almost like when my pc makes a transition of any kind it just displays a black screen, doesn't matter if resolution is going up or down same with refresh rate, now if I turn of my monitor off for about 30 sec/1min then back on again the image comes back??? and in some cases (like when launching a game) the image comes back but now with no sound????
all of my graphic card drivers are up to date using GeForce experience.

JUST TO CLARIFY: my monitor isn't turning off when any of this happens, the monitor is still on just for what ever reason its DISPLAYING a black screen that only comes back if I turn the monitor off then back on.

thanks for taking the time to read and any help is greatly appreciated, thanks muddy.

muddysoap14

Reputable
Feb 2, 2019
its not the cable, just got the new cable today and I'm still getting the same problems, the wired thing is some times I can change the resolution/refresh rate and I wont get a black screen and then sometimes I will get a black screen.
if I shut the pc down then unplug the cables leave it for 10 mins then plug every thing back in, then if I try to change the resolution/refresh rate for the first 2/3 times I wont get a black screen at all, but after 2/3 times of changing resolution/refresh rate the black screen problem comes back and then persists from then on.

muddysoap14

Reputable
Feb 2, 2019
Gpu: gigabyte 2060
cpu: ryzen 7 2700x
psu: corsair TX650M 80 plus gold 2 years old
RAM: 32gb gskill ddr4 3200mhz
OS ssd:WD Blue 250gb
HDD: 4tb WD blue
motherboard: ROG Strix x370-f gaming
Case: coolermaster H-500
monitor:AOC CQ32G1 32"
every thing is 3 years old and this is the only issue iv ever had with this pc.

For the past 2/3 weeks now iv been experiencing black screens whenever my pc makes a resolution/refresh rate transition, like when launching a game or just changing the resolution down (say from 1440p to 1080p) in Nvidia control panel, iv done a bunch of stuff to try and rectify the problem and nothing seems to work, however I might of changed some settings in "Nvidia Control Panel >> Display >> Adjust desktop size and position" but can't remember what, so I was wondering can changing those settings cause black screens to occur?

The problem is sometimes I can change the resolution without any issue and sometimes I get a black screen even though I haven't changed any settings???, so its a bit hard to discern what's actually causing the problem.
Now when I say black screens I mean the monitor is displaying a black screen, its not turning off, to make the screen come back I'm having to turn the monitor off wait 30 seconds then turning it back on.

any help figuring this out is greatly appreciated, thanks muddy.