[SOLVED] Black screen when changing to my native resolution

Mar 3, 2020
Hello guys. I have an issue I never encountered before till today.

My screen (AOC G2460VQ6) goes black whenever I set my resolution higher than 800 x 600, or when I try to run a game at my native resolution (1920 x1080). I can hear the game's sounds, but I can see nothing.

I have a pretty old PC and today I changed the thermal paste of my CPU (AMD FX 3870E), and I took the opportunity to clean my graphics card (Radeon R7 260x) too, with compressed air, nothing too excessive, and I plugged it back in.

When I logged into Windows (7) the resolution was low (on VGA) but I could change it to 1920x1080 with no issues. My GPU was recognized by Windows, but I had to restart. So I did. After the windows logo, I heard the sound of the logon screen but had a black screen. So I want back in safe mode, removed the old drivers, and reinstalled new ones. The system then restarted but went back into windows with lower res, again. My GPU was recognized but every time I try to set my resolution higher than 800x600, I end up with the black screen issue.

Is my card dying? Is it my monitor's issue? Please help.

Solution
Have you tried using DDU or the Clean Install built into the new Radeon Driver? DDU is the tried and true method for removing all traces of your old driver. Radeon ReLive drivers has added the Clean Install option under Custom Install which should fully remove the old driver (and all it's associated bits) and install the new driver.

If that doesn't work, try going back to a driver version.
It sounds like something is borked with your graphics card and it's dropped down to being used as a Standard VGA Adapter.

If you removed your card, try shutting down, unplug your PC, push the power button to drain power from the PSU and motherboard and remove and reseat your graphics card in the PCIe slot. Be sure to reseat your PCIe power cable too.

Mar 3, 2020
It sounds like something is borked with your graphics card and it's dropped down to being used as a Standard VGA Adapter.

If you removed your card, try shutting down, unplug your PC, push the power button to drain power from the PSU and motherboard and remove and reseat your graphics card in the PCIe slot. Be sure to reseat your PCIe power cable too.

Thanks for the reply. I've already tried your suggestions. I also tried to move the card from it's previous pcie x16 slot to the second of my motherboard (GA-990FXA-UD3 R5) and changed the initial display output to the new slot though bios. I thought maybe the slot was the issue or something.

My card is not shown as VGA adapter but as Radeon R7 series, specs and all.

I noticed that in VGA mode, without any AMD drivers installed, I can change to any resolution with no issue. When I install AMD drivers and my display adapter change to Radeon, i have this issue.

Sooo... I guess my GPU is fried, yes?

Have you tried using DDU or the Clean Install built into the new Radeon Driver? DDU is the tried and true method for removing all traces of your old driver. Radeon ReLive drivers has added the Clean Install option under Custom Install which should fully remove the old driver (and all it's associated bits) and install the new driver.

If that doesn't work, try going back to a driver version.

Solution