Question Black screen when connecting new GPU

vhv

Honorable
Mar 11, 2014
Hello, I am trying to connect my new Gigabyte 1070 to my old PC.
I have got i7 870 CPU
MOBO - GA-p55a-ud7
OLD Gpu - gtx 750ti

When i switched the cards i was getting a black screen. I plugged my old gpu back in and everything went back to normal.
I uninstalled nvidia drivers while having 750ti plugged in. Now im getting black screen on both gpus.
I changed pci slot for 1070 and i can see windows loading and goes back to black screen.
The new 1070 is working fine in another rig.

What could be a problem here? Please help

vhv

Honorable
Mar 11, 2014
Thats what i thought, but wanted to be sure. Which PSU would you recommend. I have to add that Im also going to purchase an i5 9600k and new Mobo next month. Could you please recommend some low-med-high end Psus for the final build im planning to get?
Thanks in advance!

vhv

Honorable
Mar 11, 2014
I cant do anything on the pc right now. Im getting a black screen all the time. I cant get into bios either.
Im from Poland and my budget for psu is around 100-120$.

vhv

Honorable
Mar 11, 2014
I just powered up my pc and I managed to get into Bios. Sometimes it powers up without a black screen and it comes on later after windows loading. Would that be helpful? By the way, im using win8 if that changes anything.

Sometimes it powers up without a black screen and it comes on later after windows loading. Would that be helpful? By the way, im using win8 if that changes anything.

So does this mean you can boot properly now with your OS ? Does the Windows load now ? I don't think WINDOWS 8 might be the culprit here.....Do you have the latest BIOS installed on your system/motherboard ?

Though, the last BIOS of your motherboard was released on 2010/11/09, and the version is F8b.

May 2, 2019
Hope that you get your issue sorted vhv.

I am having the same Black Screen problem but with a different card. Recently purchased an Asus GTX 960 4GB to replace my 750ti.

I assumed it would be a straight swap without issue but when the power is initiated on the PSU the cpu fan spins but nothing from the graphics card. When I hit the power button the PC responds (HDD, CPU etc) except by the looks of it the card, although there is a small white light indicated on the card but I still have a black screen using the HDMI port.

So far I've tried reseating the card with a different PCI-e 6 pin connector, already have the latest Nvidia drivers installed but this made no difference.

I went back to the 750ti and it's working as normal.

My mobo doesn't have any integrated graphics and is an old lga775 setup with a Phoenix AwardBios but the card should still work. I have this OCZ power supply https://www.overclockers.co.uk/ocz-stealthxstream-500w-silent-power-supply-ca-026-oc.html

I'm guessing it's the PSU not delivering the correct amount of power but it is above the minimum required.

Going to try the DVI port if I can find the cable and also reset the CMOS. Apart from that I will need to try the 960 in another machine to check it is working.

Any ideas appreciated.

Last edited:

kira4ever

Honorable
Jul 14, 2012
I just had a problem like this, I had to update my pc to the latest BIOS and it worked just fine.
I would suggest upgrading it before even thinking about changing your PSU and wasting money.