Black Screen When Exiting Games

ConnorFleming95

Commendable
Nov 8, 2016
Hello all, I have a bit of a strange issue and would appreciate it if someone could help me out.

When I exit games, I get a black screen and can't do anything. The PC is still on and working, I can hear Teamspeak or music or whatever still going, but there is no way to get the display to recover.

What I've tried:
Update drivers
Completely remove and reinstall drivers
Virus scan/malware scan
Disable firewall/anti-virus
Uninstall anti-virus
Wipe PC and go down to Windows 7

Still, every time I exit a game I get a black screen. Occasionally, along with the black screen, the GPU fan speed will go to 100%. It also sometimes black screens if tabbing out.

Games I've tested this with:
Skyrim SE
CS:GO
WRC 5

Now this is where it gets really strange. Last night I was going to test another screen, so I plugged in my old 60hz via HDMI. I decided to see what would happen when gaming with both screens connected. It works fine, no black screens, no 100% fan (still doing all the gaming itself on my main screen).

Full PC Spec:
Intel i7 4790k
MSI GTX 780 Twin Frozr
MSI Gaming 5 motherboard
120GB SSD
3TB HDD
750w Corsair CXM
Phillips 144hz GSync Monitor (happens when using GSync or without)
Let me know if more info is needed.

ConnorFleming95

Commendable
Nov 8, 2016

Downgraded in case of it being a driver conflict or windows update issue. I took a backup and can go back to Windows 10 whenever.

Res is 1080p, which is native.

L0stChild

Reputable
Mar 8, 2016

so 1080 for desktop and in game resolution yeah?
check your monitor settings(settings on the monitor not via pc)

ConnorFleming95

Commendable
Nov 8, 2016

Which settings in particular should I be looking out for? Nothing on the monitor end has changed and this problem is relatively recent. And yes - 1080p in and out of game.

L0stChild

Reputable
Mar 8, 2016

im not sure which settings. try matching whatever you see with ur pc specs. run at 60hz just get to a point where that monitor works if u cant do that then theres a problem. thats why i asked about resolution. from my experience that is the cause of screen delay or weird crap happening.

btw did u just get this monitor and its giving you problems?
maybe read into the monitor n see if others have similar problems

ConnorFleming95

Commendable
Nov 8, 2016

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll try them tonight and see what happens. I've been using this monitor for maybe 6 months now, and the problems have only been the past 2 weeks. The weird thing is that everything is fine if I have my second monitor (where I'd sometimes have TS or something on) attached.

L0stChild

Reputable
Mar 8, 2016

hmm in that case... if you already checked your software etc.. maybe its the monitor dying.

ConnorFleming95

Commendable
Nov 8, 2016
So I just got home. There are no monitor settings that could be the problem. It's all gamma/colour/brightness related. I had a look at the Nvidia control panel, it was on Multiple Display Performance Mode but I'm not sure how much of a detriment that would really be.

ConnorFleming95

Commendable
Nov 8, 2016

Sometimes I run 2, usually just 1 though.

L0stChild

Reputable
Mar 8, 2016

maybe my question was a bit off.
do you have 2 monitors plugged in and run games on the phillips or extended on both?
if you're unplugging monitors constantly that could be confuse the app

ConnorFleming95

Commendable
Nov 8, 2016

Hey, sorry it wasn't clear. For the past few months I've just been using one monitor.

This test that works is two monitors connected, only ever gaming on the Phillips one. I don't chop and change them a lot when the PC is on.

TRENDING THREADS