Question Black Screen When Gaming - Need more troubleshooting ideas

Nov 3, 2019
As the title says, whenever I start a game, within a few minutes my video output will cease and I will be left with nothing but a black screen - monitor goes into power saving; note that the PC does not shutdown or kick into restart. I have read numerous threads from different sources on this issue (seemingly a somewhat common one) but have not found one that helps me identify specifically what my problem is. Note that the build is about 3-4 years old and the issue has only just manifested itself within the last two weeks.

One of the obvious culprits is the PSU or more specifically the 12VDC rail, unfortunately I have switched out my PSU for another one and the issue still presents itself. Oddly enough though, with the replacement PSU, the PC will kick in to restart whereas with my PC's PSU the system just seems to die but hang there. My PSU is the EVGA Supernova G2 750W and the replacement was a Corsair AX760 (more build details below).

I am not getting any errors in Eventviewer which is making me temporarily rule out a Software issue, that and the fact that I am not getting BSOD.

Things I have tried to no avail: Swapping PSU (as stated above), carefully reseating power cables, some case cleaning/dusting, virus/malware checks (none found), motherboard capacitor visual inspections, NVidia driver rollbacks and updates with the help of DDU, tested across multiple different games, memtestx86, and some stress testing with various benchmarking software.

Regarding the benchmarking software tools, Unigine Heaven Benchmark will reliably crash my system after a minute or two while OCCT and Furmark do not. Stressing the CPU or the GPU by themselves typically does not yield a crash. In all cases, including while gaming, my temperatures are normal; <70C for GPU and <55C for CPU.

I had an incredibly mild overclock on the GPU which I reset to factory. Also reset the BIOS to factory but I hadn't really done anything special there anyways.

Not really sure what else to try so some troubleshooting suggestions/tips are very welcome!

Build:

CPU: i7-4790k
MOBO: MSI Z97-GAMING 5 ATX
RAM: G-Skills Ripjaw X 2x8GB DDR3 1333MHz
GPU: Gigabyte 980ti GV-N98TG1 GAMING-6GD
PSU: EVGA G2 SuperNova 750W
Drives: Samsung 850 Pro 256GB (boot); Samsung 860 EVO 500GB; WD 1TB Black.
NVidia Driver: v441.08

Thanks for reading!

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS