Question Black Screen when I enter BIOS, amongst other things ?

Sep 23, 2023
So last week I built a new PC out of my old one and a lot of new parts. The specs are as follows:
Chassis: Phanteks Eclipse G500A D-RGB Fanless Edition (but 7 fans are installed in the chassis)
Motherboard: Asus TUF Gaming B760- PLUS WIFI (new)
CPU: i7-13700 (not K or F) (new)
GPU: Gainward GeForce RTX 3060 Ti (bought earlier this year)
Memory: Kingston FURY Beast RGB DDR5 5600Mhz 32GB (new)
PSU: Asus TUF Gaming 850W Gold (bought earlier this year)
Cpu Cooler: Dark Rock Pro 4 from Be quiet (bought earlier this year)
Screen: Samsung 27" LED Curved (bought in 2018)

My drives is an SSD of 250gigs that I use for windows only
An HDD of 1TB and an m.2 of 1TB.

I also did a fresh windows install, but after realizing the old windows file took up 119gigs, almost half the drive, I deleted it. The system became a little unstable and I got a frozen screen and a bluescreen at some point. After the restart, it was fine. I also disabled the integrated graphics, but I have now re-enabled it and set PCI-e to be the primary display mode in BIOS.

But the problem that has been persisting and which I still haven't been able to solve is that whenever I hit DELETE (it's the correct key), upon startup, I get a black screen instead of BIOS. This only happens when I'm connected to PCI-e. If I do the windows memory test, this also happens. Which led me to think it was a problem with the ram, so I switched to a new kit. It didn't help. Here's what I have tried so far:

* Starting without the GPU
* Connecting an HDMI cable instead of my DP cable
* Swapped the RAM kit
* Reset CMOS

If I start the PC with my DP cable connected to the DP slot in the motherboard, I can get into BIOS. But not through Pci-e.
Since none of the stuff I listed above worked, I'm at a loss. But me and a friend who has been troubleshooting this for hours now, we're starting to believe that it's as simple as this: I need a new and more powerful DP cable. My setup doesn't like my current cable. The other things I can think of is that my Motherboard is a little bust somehow or that it's some issue with my SATA 250g drive.

I've been thinking of ditching my SSD and HDD and getting some more m.2 since i have room for that now. But everything I've had high hopes of working so far has not panned out. I'm at a loss here. Could it be some driver or update that either went wrong or similar? I've updated everything through armoury crate. I originally installed it on C:/, my windows drive, but I later moved it to D:/ (the HDD) for space.

Anyone have a clue?

Sep 23, 2023
Hmm, no, but that sounds like a good idea. At least something worth trying. I will test it out.

Allright man, it was a good suggestion, but it didn't work unfortunately. I still get a black screen when I try to go to BIOS. Even with the primary display on auto.
So that I understand the situation, you said that you at one point turned off integrated graphics, which I take as cpu graphics, then turned them back on. In what manner did you do this?

Sep 23, 2023
I connected to the DP port through the motherboard. That works. But, yesterday I also tried a HDMI cable into the GPU and that also worked, so I found the problem. It's some kind of...."communication issue" with my GPU and the DP cable/format. I've ordered a new HDMI cable with 2.1 (overkill, since I can probably only support 1.4) and then I will see if this works. Tbh, I would really like to use the DP.....so if I might send an email to nVidia and ask for their opinion at some point. I'm also not 100% sure the HDMI is going to let me run things in 144hz or that it will even work at all, but I will find out later this evening.

Sep 23, 2023
Ok the new HDMI cable works but I'm capped at 120hz with this it seems, which really is a bummer. I'd really like to use the DP instead if I can, especially with the BIOS. Anyone have any idea what to do here?

Sep 23, 2023
Allright, I sent an email out to nvidia to ask them about this and they asked for some more information, a few screenshots and such. They also asked me to try one of the other slots on my GPU. I did and that freaking solved the problem. I got the logo as well as BIOS. I figured it out!

Sep 23, 2023
Unfortunately, I wasn't able to replicate the successful result this morning. So back to the drawing board.