Black screen when I turn my computer on

Ed Hunter

Honorable
Sep 1, 2012
I'm running windows 7 x64 and whenever I turn my computer off, I get a black screen. When I leave it for a few hours the computer then boots normally without any problems. When I do get the black screen, the operating system still runs since I can hear the windows logon sound when I type in my password and press enter, I get information on my keyboard's screen when it logs in as it usually would and I can turn my computer off again with my keyboard. I am running crossfire AMD 7850s which I thought would be the problem, so I changed my video output to the integrated motherboard graphics, yet still the same problem, so I am guessing the fault isn't with my graphics cards. I've tried using a different monitor also, but still does no good. What else could be the problem and what can I do? Thanks

Ed Hunter

Honorable
Sep 1, 2012

When I put the CPU in place I diddn't have any problems for over a year, only now has the black screen issue occurred, so could the cpu have come out of place?

And how can I check the CPU, I have thermal paste on there and don't really want to be messing around with it too much?

if its a stock cpu with no overclocking you should be able to remove the heatsink and put it back on without worrying about temps or applying new thermal paste. before you do that though look at the capacitors on the mobo if any are swollen or leaking thats most likely your issue.

Ed Hunter

Honorable
Sep 1, 2012

It's overclocked at 4.1GHz, no voltage change. Once I take the heatsink off, what am I looking for?

Ed Hunter

Honorable
Sep 1, 2012

No burned pins or any damage. Looks good to me, put it back and still same issue.

Ed Hunter

Honorable
Sep 1, 2012

Yes I'm able to log in with the black screen, I can practically do anything. Logging in is also obviously fine when the computer is left and it boots normally with the screen showing.

Ed Hunter

Honorable
Sep 1, 2012
Something weird that happens, even if I do leave it for a few hours sometimes, it still will not boot sucessfully with normal screen, but when I turn it off and leave it again it will usually work in an hour.

Ed Hunter

Honorable
Sep 1, 2012
One thing I just realized, I was messing around with my graphics cards earlier, and when I unplug both GPUs from the PSU and use the onboard video in the computer, the computer boots normally. When the cards are plugged in to the PSU and I am using onboard video, the screen is still black. I have tried only connecting one GPU at a time, taking out the crossfire bridge, using different connecting cables, but when any power is going to either of my 7850s, black screen. I have also discovered that whenever video output from the 7850s stops, this is what causes the black screen. eg; when I change settings for my GPUs, the screen adjusts and goes black, but stays that way, as it does when I try and turn it on and it blackscreens. Also if I take out the video cable at the back and plug it back in, I will get black screen again.