Question Black Screen when playing certain games.

Aug 26, 2022
I'm really at a loss for what to do/test. I'm getting random black screens in very specific titles. I can repeat it infinitely. Right now, the only game I get it in is Sniper Elite 4. I can play for a random time before my PC goes black. Sometimes audio works for a few more seconds/minutes, but it's as if someone unplugged the HDMI/DP cables. I thought it was a power supply issue, but I've replaced it. I also got a UPS during this period. Sometimes the fans on the Graphics Card also go to the max, but that's less often.
(everything is stock, no overclock or anything like that. Everything bought new)

Sometimes I get a hardware error in Reliability History. View: https://imgur.com/a/W4RSDDJ

I test individual components (stress tested the CPU/GPU with no issue.)
Sometimes I get a "Default Radeon WattMan settings has been restored due to unexpected system failure" error but not always.

What I've tried:

1. Temp monitoring.
CPU and GPU never touch above 70. I've got a CSV from HWINFO64 that I took before it crashed, so maybe that has some info.

2. Drivers.
I tried the WHQL driver, the latest; I tried using DDU to uninstall it. No luck.

3. Replacing all the HDMI/DP cables. Both have been replaced with the same issue.

4. Contact MSI support about it.
They recommend RMAing it. Is that my only option at this point? Never done it before, and it makes me nervous.

Specs

AMD Ryzen 7 2700X 3.7 GHz 8-Core Processor
Noctua NH-D15 chromax.black 82.52 CFM CPU Cooler
MSI X470 GAMING PRO ATX AM4 Motherboard
Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory
Intel 660p 1.02 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive
MSI Radeon RX 6800 XT 16 GB GAMING X TRIO Video Card
Corsair 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply

Aug 30, 2022
Have you tried "Driver-only" install?

Ran into a similar issue with my RX 6700XT just last week until I have exhausted every troubleshooting method.

The only saving grace was the "Driver-only" installation. (Kinda sucks to not fully utilize the Radeon Software right now but at least it's not black screening. . . For the moment)

Went to upgrade from 22.5.1 to 22.8.2, and the games that do face the issue with the "Full Install" option seems to be gone. But I'm not getting my hopes that high because I got sike by my last troubleshoot.

If the issue happens to find itself back again, I might sent the card for RMA. 🥲

Aug 30, 2022
Ah, I see.

Well, if it saves you the headache of finding any other viable solution.

Hope you have more pleasant gaming sessions ahead with a replacement RX 6800 XT! 🫡