Question Black screen when playing games

May 9, 2020
Hello,
When I play certain games my monitor goes to black and loses signal, but my computer is still running and I can hear sound. I can run games like Modern Warfare, Divinity Original Sin 2, and Mordhau, but games like Total war Warhammer 2 and Bioshock remastered give me the black screen. The fans become really loud as well when this happens. I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling my gpu drivers. I also reinstalled windows 10. All I can do is to hard shutdown my computer. I tried to run the user benchmark, but once it got to the gpu section my monitor loses signal. I am not sure if its the psu or the gpu or something else entirely.
My specs:
CPU: ryzen 5 3600
GPU: AMD radeon 480
PSU: Thermaltake TR2 700w
MOBO: MSI B450 PRO-M2 Max
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB 3000Mh

May 9, 2020
This might be the culprit here, IMO. That's a very poor and inferior quality PSU. Try to grab some other high quality PSU.

That TR2 model isn't that trustworthy. I wouldn't use this on any high-end Gaming PC.
Do you have any recommendations regarding psu? I'm not well versed in computer hardware.

May 9, 2020
The PSU could be the problem, but it also could be a different problem.
Something could be wrong internally with the graphics card too.
How long have you had this graphics card and power supply?
I'm not sure exactly how long but I've had the gpu for about 3ish years and the psu for about 3-4 years.

Insane Potatoz

Prominent
Sep 22, 2019
Hm. That PSU has a 5 year warranty then. Have you had it for 5 years or more? If so I'm gonna echo Metal Messiah's statement to get a new PSU.

It also could be a GPU or Monitor related issue I guess

Insane Potatoz

Prominent
Sep 22, 2019
How would I go about testing if there are problems regarding my monitor or gpu
Honestly, I don't know.
If you're comfortable taking apart the GPU, Take off the heatsink and see if there's anything unusual or damaged. If the card is still in warranty might be a good idea to contact the manufacturer and see if there's anything wrong with it.

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS