Question Black screen when reproducing videos ?

Mar 7, 2021
Hey guys, it's my first thread so sorry for any error.

I have a very old Acer Travelmate 5730, which sometimes goes black screen (the audio keeps going and the PC seems to work fine, but the screen appears dead). Until I had Windows7 the problem was really random and rare, when I tried upgrade it to win10 the display went black during the booting process, so I tried Linux Mint which works fine but presents the same problem only when reproducing videos on youtube on 1080p or higher or on some other sites which seem heavy.

I tried to connect the PC to a monitor with a VGA cable but there isn't any visual output...
Does anyone have any idea on what is the problem and how to solve it?
Thanks in advance also for all the times this forum has helped me with other problems!

Can't comment on Linux as that's not my area of expertise -- I've never even used it.

No output to an external monitor either? That usually means the laptop's GPU is faulty or dead.

That means a new motherboard in most cases, better to save that expense and use your money instead to buy a new laptop.

Mar 7, 2021
I've seen that my PC has a removable GPU, so the expense (if I manage to find it used) would not be high, but I would like to be sure before invest any money on it

TRENDING THREADS