Status
Not open for further replies.

muddysoap14

Reputable
Feb 2, 2019
For the past 3 weeks now when ever I start up a game the screen turns black, this never used to happen before, its all most like when the pc change's the resolution it fails to display the correct resolution and instead just display's a black screen.
now the monitor doesn't turn off, the monitor is still on its just displaying a black screen, oh and still has audio.
the only thing I can think of is around the same time I downloaded the tales of arise demo (now I have uninstalled it) and noticed that the game was set to 4k by default???? so I changed it in the games options menu to 1440p which is my native resolution.
ever since then iv been getting black screens on every other game on start up, the only thing I can do that sometimes fixes it is to remove the display port cable then plug it back in over and over again until the screen comes back. (this can take up to 20/30 mins to happen)
I don't have any other black screen issues, not when booting up to PC itself, not when opening a web browser it seems to be only when launching a game, however once the black screen issue has happened pressing anything like the windows key/ alt ctrl del/ esc doesn't do anything to help still a black screen even if pressing any of those keys does take you back to desktop. (just cant see the desktop coz of black screen)
my resolution settings are set to native 1440p in both Nividia control panel and display settings.

my monitor is a AOC CQ32G1 32"
display port cable is plugged into my GPU which is a Gigabyte 2060, I use GeForce experience to update the drivers, and yes every thing is up to date.

any help would be much appreciated.
thanks Muddy.

Last edited by a moderator:

muddysoap14

Reputable
Feb 2, 2019
full system spec? include brand and model of the psu
Gpu: gigabyte 2060
cpu: ryzen 7 2700x
psu: corsair TX650M 80 plus gold 2 years old
RAM: 32gb gskill ddr4 3200mhz
OS ssd:WD Blue 250gb
HDD: 4tb WD blue
motherboard: ROG Strix x370-f gaming
Case: coolermaster H-500

thanks for the reply.

Last edited:

muddysoap14

Reputable
Feb 2, 2019
update: when launching a game and the screen turning to black Iv noticed that if I turn my monitor off, wait 30sec then turn it back on the monitor displays an image again like normal but then I get no sound in the game, I get sound out side the game, (plus I dont want to have to turn off my monitor EVERY time I luanch a game.

muddysoap14

Reputable
Feb 2, 2019
test with another psu

I don't have another psu, and i dont want to spend £70 ish just to test some thing.
another thing iv noticed is the problem seems to be happening to old games, such as skyrim, fallout 4, the original resident evil remastered, its all most as if when the resolution transitions to another resolution other than my native resolution (1440p) it display's a black screen. like for some reason it cant go from 1440p to 1080p so now it just displays a black screen?????
which doesn't make sense since that would be scaling down not up past what my setup can handle.
iv also noticed that newer titles don't seem to be affected at all such as, war hammer 2 total war, x4 foundations, halo infinite, city skylines, valheim,
shogun 2 total war, frostpunk all seem to work. no black screen when launching those games?????

again thanks for your help I appreciate it.

Last edited:

muddysoap14

Reputable
Feb 2, 2019
This is so weird, been messing around with it past few days and sometimes it will launch fallout 4 just fine right up until I click anywhere on the main menu, then it displays a black screen? but I Can still hear the audio, if I turn my monitor off wait 1 minute or so then back on it will display an image but now with no sound.

muddysoap14

Reputable
Feb 2, 2019
still messing with it, I don't think it's games that are the problem, because if I change the resolution or refresh rate in display settings/Nvidia control panel say from 1440p (my native resolution) to anything lower (1080p/60hz) I get the same black screen issue I'm getting when I launch certain games, furthermore if I launch a game that doesn't black screen on launch but then change the resolution/refresh rate in game then ill get a black screen.
so basically my pc/setup cant handle any change to resolution/refresh rate without displaying a black screen.
never used to do this before and this is causing a lot of issue's.

Again thanks to anyone who takes the time to read and help, thanks muddy.

Status
Not open for further replies.