Black Screen when trying to install Windows 10.

egtrev

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2012
Hello,

I am trying to install Windows 10 Pro.
3770k and ASRock Z77 Professional (latest BIOS) On board HDMI.
I boot to the Windows 10 USB media and I see the Blue Windows Logo and the spinning circle for about 30 seconds, then the screen goes black (Monitor still has signal) and nothing happens after that (I've left it a while)

I have tried a different USB port and made a new USB from Windows website.

Any help or suggestions appreciated.

Themastererr

Respectable
May 22, 2016
Damn, ya I've had this issue installing Windows 10 twice, it was my overclocks. I got a blackscreen but I could see a white mouse cursor if I clicked somewhere eventually.

You tried removing and putting back in the display while it black to try and get it detected?

Why are you plugging into USB ports? Is there not an HDMI or display port for you to plug into?

EDIT: Wait a second, you can't even get it into the installation, that's what you're trying to say. In that case the bootable USB is probably just corrupt or you didn't set the boot drive in BIOS appropriately.

egtrev

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2012
I don't see a mouse cursor when clicking.

I'm using the HDMI port on the Motherboard (USB is was just for installation media/stick)

yes, I have tried switching HDMI ports while it is black on my monitor, the monitor shows a signal 1920 x 1080 60hz on the new port but still just a black screen.
Unfortunately I don't have a display port on my monitor, so can't try that option.

egtrev

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2012

I'm pretty sure the boot drive is correct as I see the Windows 10 logo before the black screen.
As mentioned I have the original Windows 10 USB stick (from retail box/package) and one I made myself.

Themastererr

Respectable
May 22, 2016

Yeah, I misunderstood your first post and thought you got past the initial startup screen. I've never had an issue with that before as every time it's booted right to the start up screen.

I'm honestly not sure at this point. If I was in your position I would start messing with the BIOS settings to do with USB drive. Try setting to be a hard-drive, making sure it's first in the boot priority, etc. Removing all components like keyboard, mouse, printer, anything from the P.C other than Display when trying to install.

egtrev

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2012
I've tried messing with various BIOS settings and removed all USB devices, but still the same. I'm stumped.
My friend is going to bring a spare graphics card for me to try later today, in case maybe it's a video issue.

egtrev

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2012
The graphics cards was a no go too, however I did manage to sort the problem - I unplugged my install drive (SSD) and the install loaded, I ended up having to switch SATA ports to get it to work, no idea why but Windows didn't like that particular one :)

Thanks Themastererr for the help.

Themastererr

Respectable
May 22, 2016

Nice good to hear.