Black screen when trying to wake from screen saver

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mastiff37

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2011
I have windows 10 set up with black screen screen saver with password (pin) protection upon coming out of screen saver. Most of the time it works, but twice today I've tried to wake the machine and just get a black screen with mouse pointer. I can move the pointer, but I can't get past that to type my pin, etc. My only recourse is to reboot the machine. I've tried ctrl-alt-delete, just entering my pin anyway, windows button, etc. to no avail. Any ideas?

Solution
You may be having difficulty with a Windows feature called hybrid shutdown, which performs a hibernate-like dump of important running processes and kernel components during each shutdown. To disable hybrid shutdown, type "Power plan" in Start and choose the first option. Click "Choose what the power buttons do" on the sidebar. Click "Change settings that are currently unavailable." Uncheck "Turn on fast startup."

Slashgeek

Admirable
You may be having difficulty with a Windows feature called hybrid shutdown, which performs a hibernate-like dump of important running processes and kernel components during each shutdown. To disable hybrid shutdown, type "Power plan" in Start and choose the first option. Click "Choose what the power buttons do" on the sidebar. Click "Change settings that are currently unavailable." Uncheck "Turn on fast startup."

Solution

Mastiff37

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2011

To be clear, the problem happens after just walking away from the machine for a while. Not sure if it's in screen saver or some other kind of sleep. It's not turned off though. Is that consistent with what you are saying?

Slashgeek

Admirable

Check and see if your PC is set to sleep automatically. If it is, my solution may help you.

Status
Not open for further replies.