Question Black screen when using RX 470, but works fine with integrated graphics ?

pighamlet

Honorable
Jun 13, 2018
I have been facing a persistent issue with my Dell Optiplex 9020 system equipped with an RX 470 graphics card. The problem started a month ago, where the monitor displays a black screen when connected to the graphics card using a DVI cable. The monitor is working correctly as it functions well with another system. However, when using the integrated graphics, the system works without any issues.
Moreover, remote display access using Google Remote Desktop shows that the computer can be seen functioning correctly.

Troubleshooting steps I have already attempted:

• Tested the monitor with another system, and it works flawlessly.
  • Confirmed that the monitor and PC are powered on and functioning properly.
  • Replaced the cables connecting the monitor and graphics card, but the problem persists.
  • Updated the BIOS and reinstalled the graphics drivers, which resolved the issue temporarily. However, the problem returned after shutting down the system.

System Details:
  • Dell Optiplex 9020
  • Graphics Card: RX 470
The issue has been ongoing for a month, and I have been using this setup without any problems for over a year before this occurred.

I would appreciate any guidance or suggestions on how to resolve this perplexing issue. Thank you in advance for your help!

Last edited:

Lutfij

Titan
Dell Optiplex 9020
Which form factor of the Dell OptiPlex 9020 do you have? How old is the PSU in your prebuilt?

Did you drop the GPU onto another system that is not a prebuilt with a lot more power than the entire system needs? If the GPU shows up on the donor system, then the issue is with your prebuilt.

Reactions: pighamlet

pighamlet

Honorable
Jun 13, 2018
Dell Optiplex 9020
Which form factor of the Dell OptiPlex 9020 do you have? How old is the PSU in your prebuilt?

Did you drop the GPU onto another system that is not a prebuilt with a lot more power than the entire system needs? If the GPU shows up on the donor system, then the issue is with your prebuilt.
I have the full tower rig. No, i have not removed it in a while. My machine is about 8 years old at this point. Stock PSU.

Assuming the card and PC were working happily together before, I think we can rule out incompatibility. Do you have any other input option to your monitor? DVI, HDMI, DP? Maybe I better first ask, which RX 470 (make/model) are you using?
From the GPU I only have a DVI port. The model is Sapphire RX 470 4GB
The integrated graphics card has a VGA interface, which works. .

Thing is when i run it via remote desktop, I can see that it's working just fine.

pighamlet

Honorable
Jun 13, 2018
You wrote: "The problem started a month ago, where the monitor displays a black screen when connected to the graphics card using a VGA cable."
The Sapphire RX 470 has no analog (VGA) output. It only provides digital output.
Sorry my bad. I meant DVI cable. Iam guess its a problem with the GPU. The fans are all spinning, and sometimes the display actually works fine. Until i restart it at which point it just goes blank.

The original 290w PSU is likely insufficient for the RX 470, which is usually stated as requiring a 400-450w PSU in a typical system. Sapphire says minimum 500w PSU for theirs.

Of course a problem is the Dell PSU is not a standard formfactor, but there are adapter cables from standard ATX to Dell 8-pin. Or another GPU with only 75w TDP may make more sense as those reportedly work fine with the stock PSU, and may cost less than a new PSU and adapter

Reactions: pighamlet

pighamlet

Honorable
Jun 13, 2018
The original 290w PSU is likely insufficient for the RX 470, which is usually stated as requiring a 400-450w PSU in a typical system. Sapphire says minimum 500w PSU for theirs.

Of course a problem is the Dell PSU is not a standard formfactor, but there are adapter cables from standard ATX to Dell 8-pin. Or another GPU with only 75w TDP may make more sense as those reportedly work fine with the stock PSU, and may cost less than a new PSU and adapter
Well actually, it was working just fine for like the past two years. I am using a sata to 8pin adapter.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
Well actually, it was working just fine for like the past two years. I am using a sata to 8pin adapter.

There are a number of possibilities that will require testing with known good parts to narrow down. For one, an inadequate power supply may have simply led it to a premature grave. Something working is not a binary function; you don't actually know it was working fine unless you were using an oscilloscope and load tester. That it was working well enough to physically turn on for two years does not mean that it was working properly or even a good idea.

TRENDING THREADS