Black Screen when waking up from Sleep on Windows 8.1

bitterra

Reputable
Sep 6, 2014
I recently upgraded to windows 8.1 from a clean slate of windows 7. Whenever I am inactive long enough for my pc to sleep (about 20 minutes I have it set to) I try to wake it up again and there is just a black screen. My only solution to fixing this is by unplugging and replugging the DVI cable. I have all new windows updates and all of the latest drivers for everything including my mobo so that is not the problem. It just seems that the cable needs to be replugged in every time I try to wake it up from sleep. I've never had this problem before when I had Windows 7 and it's just starting since I installed Windows 8.1. Any solutions?

Solution
what graphics card do you have and where did you get the driver. Often the driver Microsoft installed will be a stripped down generic driver provide by the graphics card vendor. You want to use the driver directly from the vendor of the graphics card. You can also test to see if the driver that came with your machine has the same problem. (get it from the manufactures website)

It can also be a problem with the cables, or the sleep circuit in the monitor.
But with short sleep duration of 20 mins I would assume it is the graphics driver itself not responding correctly to the low power transitions. (sleep/wake states)
windows 8.x added a more levels of sleep states and enabled them. Windows 7 had them off by default and often people...
what graphics card do you have and where did you get the driver. Often the driver Microsoft installed will be a stripped down generic driver provide by the graphics card vendor. You want to use the driver directly from the vendor of the graphics card. You can also test to see if the driver that came with your machine has the same problem. (get it from the manufactures website)

It can also be a problem with the cables, or the sleep circuit in the monitor.
But with short sleep duration of 20 mins I would assume it is the graphics driver itself not responding correctly to the low power transitions. (sleep/wake states)
windows 8.x added a more levels of sleep states and enabled them. Windows 7 had them off by default and often people don't see the problems in the hardware/drivers until they install windows 8.x

if you have certain version of asus mother boards, you may find some BIOS settings
that can cause this also>
enable "Repost Video on S3 Resume"
or on some boards disable PLL Overvoltage BISO setting

Solution

bitterra

Reputable
Sep 6, 2014

Custom.

I have a Radeon R9 270. I have the latest drivers through Catalyst so that can't be the problem and I have all the latest windows updates.

I also have an ASUS motherboard so I can check that in the BIOS.

Astralv

Distinguished
Catalyst is not the only driver. There also drivers on Motherboard manufacturer site such as VGA. Your video card came with drivers. make sure you got everything. Also John makes good points. My computers all had this problem and they learned as time went. It may be some Windows update that resolved it. Install all motherboard drivers and chipset. If you did not install chipset you will not have regular folders on your hard drive.

hankidic

Reputable
Apr 12, 2015

I have the same graphics card and the same problem, did you find a solution?