Question Black screen while playing OW2 then entire PC freezes

mike2012

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2012
Okay, I've had a problem recently. One day I was playing OW2 and alt tabbed out of it. Came back and OW2 had a black screen but audio was still playing. Then I alt tab out again and try to move the mouse but everything is frozen; requiring a hard reset.

So I push the power button, turn the computer back on and everything is working perfectly. So why did the screen go black in OW2? Never had this happen in any other game.

Usually when a game black screens out after an ALT + TAB or it's variant keystroke it's because the display resolution or properties got fried in the handover. The same thing happened to me countless times back when I used to play Diablo III hardcore and I would have to restart to fix it. I know you said that it has never happened in any other games, are they as graphically demanding as OW2 is? It may not seem like it is but trust me....it's a Blizzard game, so it is. Not to mention Blizzard has experienced this issue for literally YEARS because of driver signing issues, etc. It always seems to be present in newer games and then eventually just goes to the wayside.

mike2012

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2012
Usually when a game black screens out after an ALT + TAB or it's variant keystroke it's because the display resolution or properties got fried in the handover. The same thing happened to me countless times back when I used to play Diablo III hardcore and I would have to restart to fix it. I know you said that it has never happened in any other games, are they as graphically demanding as OW2 is? It may not seem like it is but trust me....it's a Blizzard game, so it is. Not to mention Blizzard has experienced this issue for literally YEARS because of driver signing issues, etc. It always seems to be present in newer games and then eventually just goes to the wayside.
Actually, I've played games far more demanding than OW2 and it's never happened. For instance, I've played Assassin's Creed Odyssey on max settings and never had a problem. That's open world and far more demanding than OW2. Same with Horizon Zero Dawn. Far more demanding than OW2 but never had any issues.