[SOLVED] Black screen with Aero 1030 itx and GA-H170-HD3 DDR3

Nov 6, 2019
Hello I bought a MSI GeForce GT 1030 Aero ITX 2GD4 to use with my GA-H170-HD3 but it doesn't display (not even bios)
I read that they were compatible, but starting to ask if it was a misunderstanding

Things I tried:
  1. tried on another pc (amd radeon 3 with msi mother) and it works flawlessly
  2. tried both 16x and 4x ports
  3. Disabled on board video
  4. Modify priority of display (which one first)
  5. Reset Bios
  6. Modify some pci thingy on the bios, no results
  7. boot from on board gfx and when in windows 10, it recognizes the Aero, then installed them drivers. But when restart, I have the same problem as if I didn't do something
  8. Took of the 4 rams and drives, no difference
My specs
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/3sJMcq
Mother GA-H170-HD3
CPU: i7 6700 3.4
RAM: 32 gb hyper x 2666 (running at 2400 mother limit)
Bios: F23F
PSU: Thermaltake TR2 S 600w

The computer where is working
Mother: msi b450m
CPU: ryzen 3 2200g
RAM: 8gb predator hyper x
PSU: tooq eco power 2 650w

Thanks in advance for your time

Last edited:
Solution
You should try to update the BIOS, the gt1030 was released around 2017, and the MB has the 2016 version, the BIOS may not recognize the new hardware. Usually it does not matter, as long as the MB has the pciex16 slot. Also the gt 1030 works with other PC, and the tr2 600W is not that good PSU, but for gt1030, it is more than enough. So if you get problem after upgrading the new hardware, you should try to update the BIOS first.

And keep in mind, if you don't do it right during the BIOS update, you will brick the MB.
You should try to update the BIOS, the gt1030 was released around 2017, and the MB has the 2016 version, the BIOS may not recognize the new hardware. Usually it does not matter, as long as the MB has the pciex16 slot. Also the gt 1030 works with other PC, and the tr2 600W is not that good PSU, but for gt1030, it is more than enough. So if you get problem after upgrading the new hardware, you should try to update the BIOS first.

And keep in mind, if you don't do it right during the BIOS update, you will brick the MB.

Reactions: laperla
Solution
Nov 6, 2019

Thanks for the elaborated answer. I'll read carefully about the bios update. A part from that, maybe I should get an older gfx as I can't risk to break the MB in between work.
What a shame, as it worked smoothly with the other setup.

Thanks again, I'll let you know how it goes

Nov 6, 2019
I've updated the Bios to the last version and but nothing changed. It improved my igfx tho, so that was good. But I guess I will return the Aero and look for another one. Aero was on the list of compatibles, so now I don't know which one will work 🤷‍♂️

Nov 6, 2019
I think your monitor and/or cables are broken.

Did you use the same monitor and cables for both PCs?

Yes, I used the same monitor and cable for:
  1. my setup with on board gfx, (worked)
  2. my setup with the aero gfx, (not worked)
  3. other setup (ryzen) with on board gfx (worked)
  4. other setuo (ryzen) with aero (worked)
Have you done a CMOS reset?

Yes, I did CMOS reset before updating de bios (f6 version) and then after installing the new bios and trying it without any luck, I did it just for feeling that I tired everything.
PS: Now I can't go back to the original Bios Version tho, I am stucked with the last one, not a problem tho.

Your chances of having 4 of them be compatible together is not good.

I know, the memories came in a 2 double packages and have being working flawlessly with my setup (using on board gfx) but for the sake of my tests, I tried with 4, 3, 2, 1 and even taking all the memories, just to search for incompatibilities, I also did that with my drives, taking the m2 ssd or just leaving a win 7 on another ssd, but nothing worked

Thank you all for your answers, as I coudn't find another person with my same setup, I am assuming that the two items are not compatible. I am planning to return the Gfx, but I am lost on how to continue :(