[SOLVED] Black screen with AsRock MB, AMD Ryzen CPU & GeForce RTX 2070 ?

Apr 23, 2020
Hello.
I am about to reassemble this PC for the third time with a new replacement of the same motherboard (under guarantee, but only for replacement--not reimbursement. I would change brand if it were not for this guarantee restriction) and I am afraid I will get another black screen (no video at all). What should I do to prevent this from happening again? Or what should I do before reassembling the PC that can make it possible to solve the black screen problem when it happens again? Below is what has happened until now.

SPECIFICATIONS:
CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz 12-Core Processor
MB: ASRock X570 Creator ATX AM4
Memory: Kingston HyperX Predator 64 GB (4 x 16 GB) DDR4-3333 CL16 Memory
Storage: WD Blue SSD (2000 GB, M.2; Protocol AHCI (SATA))
PSU: Corsair HX Platinum 1000 W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully Modular ATX
GPU. Zotac GeForce RTX 2070 Super Mini Edition (8 GB)
(All parts still under guarantee)

HISTORY:
  1. The newly-assembled PC worked perfectly for a month, OS regularly updated. It was then left unused for 2 months.
  2. After that period, when powering up, all fans work, but no video signal at all (black screen). Storage is M2 card, so no LED to see whether any OS activity. Troubleshooting listed below (*)
  3. Corresponded with ASRock helpdesk; after lengthy correspondence they instructed me to return the motherboard saying it must be faulty. So a motherboard replacement was ordered and installed.
  4. Then exactly the same as under point 2: PC worked perfectly for some weeks, OS updated. Then left unused for a month, again "black screen" when attempting power up.
  5. Sent both CPU and motherboard back for replacement (shop will not accept reimbursement or exchange for different model).
I will shortly receive a new MB (same model) and CPU (same model). I will reassemble the PC, but then expect getting a black screen again at some random point. While the PC is still working, what can I do that will help me out of the next "black screen" event without having to send parts back for replacement again?

I do not think it has to do with the OS or the BIOS, because when the PC worked again after motherboard replacement (point 4), it was exactly the same OS as under point 1, working perfectly.

(*)
  • removed all non-essential peripherals
  • tried with different display
  • tried with different HDMI cable
  • tried with DisplayPort on motherboard
  • CMOS reset
  • CPU re-seat
  • tried with different RAM
  • tried with only 1 bar of RAM, in different slots
  • tried with storage (OS) in both M2 slots
  • sent "Dr Debug" codes and footage to AsRock helpdesk

Last edited:
Solution
A Red drive doesn't have to run 24/7. It can be powered down like any other SSD and then power up and work perfectly normally. Furthermore, a black screen with no way to get into the BIOS has nothing to do with the SSD. This sounds more like a GPU/power issue since you've replaced the mobo, tried different RAM, etc... Now that you have another mobo and a another CPU, if it happens again then it is definitely something other than the mobo or the CPU. If this happens again in the future then it would be prudent to test the system with a different GPU. Test with a different PSU. Also breadboard the system - https://forums.tomshardware.com/faq...wn-to-the-basics-for-troubleshooting.1848255/
Could the problem be with your SSD? When you were getting the black screen did you try booting with no drives connected to see if you could get into the BIOS? A Red drive is meant to run 24/7 and you are having this problem after the PC was left unused for 2 months. Perhaps the problem is with your SSD controller.

Apr 23, 2020
Thanks for this insight, rocktalkrock.
Surprised to read a red drive is intended for servers running continuously (where can I find that kind of information?). I had read nothing about that prior to purchasing. Upon rebuild I will install the OS on a separate SSD cabled to the motherboard, which will exclude failure from an OS on the M2. In the meantime I will continue to search for other possibilities.

Surprised to read a red drive is intended for servers running continuously (where can I find that kind of information?). I had read nothing about that prior to purchasing. Upon rebuild I will install the OS on a separate SSD cabled to the motherboard, which will exclude failure from an OS on the M2. In the meantime I will continue to search for other possibilities.
https://www.westerndigital.com/en-ca/solutions/compare-our-color-drives#wd-red

larkspur

Distinguished
A Red drive doesn't have to run 24/7. It can be powered down like any other SSD and then power up and work perfectly normally. Furthermore, a black screen with no way to get into the BIOS has nothing to do with the SSD. This sounds more like a GPU/power issue since you've replaced the mobo, tried different RAM, etc... Now that you have another mobo and a another CPU, if it happens again then it is definitely something other than the mobo or the CPU. If this happens again in the future then it would be prudent to test the system with a different GPU. Test with a different PSU. Also breadboard the system - https://forums.tomshardware.com/faq...wn-to-the-basics-for-troubleshooting.1848255/

Solution
Apr 23, 2020
On checking my files, I realize SSD had in fact been changed for a WD Blue SSD (2000 GB, M.2; Protocol AHCI (SATA)) . My bad, sorry.

Apr 23, 2020
Thanks. After 3 rebuilds I should manage to boil the culprit down and solve the mystery.