Black screen with blinking cursor in the top left HELP!

domdbomb10

Honorable
Feb 17, 2012
Can somebody please help me figure out how to fix this problem. When I turn my computer on it goes to the Samsung screen and then quickly goes to a blank black screen with a blinking cursor and I cannot do anything...please helppppppppp

We've all had this problem at sometime or the other in our lives, but, luckily for us we never had anything from Samsung in the rig. :)
You need to be a little more specific with the rig specifications and what lead you to having this problem.
For the time being, you can try to boot into safe mode or doing a system restore and see if you can get it to work right.

hpdeskjet

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2011
Don't bump posts :)

Anyway, are you able to enter your BIOS? What you are seeing usually means your system can't load the operating system. Do you have your Windows disk? If so, try to repair it with your Windows disk. It might have something to do with bootrec /fixmbr and bootrec /fixboot

Hope this helps.

domdbomb10

Honorable
Feb 17, 2012

it won't let me go into safe mode, all I am able to do is go into the BIOS but can you tell me what to do from there please :)
And how do I do a system restore?

you cant system restore as you cant load windows

its not seeing your hard drive to boot from

look in the bios and see if your hard drive is listed--if not then its either faulty or has become disconnected

if its in the bios then set it as 1st boot device and make sure you havent left a cd/dvd in the cd/dvd drive if you

have one

Goldengoose

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2011

Set it up from the bios to boot from CD, put the windows CD in and see what you can do from there. Best course of action is to do a windows boot repair or restore it to a previous session and see what results you can get.

MC_Net

Honorable
Jul 12, 2012

The best thing to do is to create a recovery disk from any Windows 7 PC or laptop. Next, change the boot options in the Bios to boot from CD/DVD internal drive (check with manufactures documentation for correct F# key).

Insert recovery disk into cd/dvd drive and hit any key when prompted to do so. Select "Command Prompt" from the list of options then type the following:

Bootrec.exe

bcdedit /export C:\BCD_Backup

c:

cd boot

attrib bcd -s -h -r

ren c:\boot\bcd bcd.old

bootrec /RebuildBcd

bootrec /fixmbr

bootrec /fixboot

Remove recovery dick and boot from hard drive (don't forget to set the boot option back to HD).

Good Luck!!

sourav singha

Reputable
Aug 11, 2015

none2015

Reputable
Aug 13, 2015
I had a similar issue and it was due to my boot options. I had it set to boot from disk first then sata if disk was not inserted. Reversed the setting in bios and it corrected issue

Gothicgigabyte

Commendable
Jun 3, 2016
I jsut ran into this same exact problem., I've never encountered it before but resolved it pretty fast.

here is how I fixed it.

at the blank screen where you see the curser flashing at the top right of your screen " hit ctrl+alt+ del" as if you are trying to bring up task manager. your windows logo should pop up. hit f12 to get into BIOS. then you want to restore your setting back to default , save your changes and exit. Bam.... fixed! hope this helps.

Falcon606

Commendable
Aug 5, 2016

I have this issue but my BIOS menu lets me do some things but not many, the laptop also makes a loud beep sound when I hit certain keys. Did you encounter this?

Matt Mathews

Commendable
Aug 17, 2016
Ok I had the same issues with my N54L ... Just one day rebooted into this mode...
I thought at first the HDD with OS died, But was showing up on CMD via USB boot disk

I noticed this when I booted into the boot and use command prompt i typed
bootrec /RebuildBcd
It told me that Windows was installed on I:\ which made me wonder why not on C: as supposed to be

I creating a boot Usb stick with "Rufas" and Win 8.1 Iso to get to boot command prompt

I tried all the above. I ended up solving it by

entering Bios with F10
When I looked at the HDDs (i have 4x3tb and 1x 250gb with OS) the booting one had changed to the one of the 3tb ones. Im unsure why as I never did it.

It now will boot to windows not the blinking courser, But wont boot into windows, Now Im tring to restore from previous working install which wouldnt allow me to do before with the drives set wrong in BIOS would come up the drive is locked...

Ended up having to restore old point

Linda_79

Commendable
Oct 12, 2016

TRENDING THREADS